Setting up CRON jobs for SuiteCRM on bluehost

For those that want to install SuiteCRM on Bluehost.com shared hosting services.

You must setup cron to allow SuiteCRM to perform several functions via Schedulers. One example is retrieving inbound email.

I looked around quite a bit to find instructions specific to Bluehost and I did not find any. Since im not a linux newb by any means I SSH’ed in and found out what I needed to know, so maybe this may save someone a few steps/headaches.

When using SuiteCRM cron.php needs to be run via the php command line interpreter, so the command you are looking for is

If installed the root of your domain

php-cli /home/[username]/public_html/cron.php

If installed in a Subfolder

php-cli /home/[username]/public_html/[path to suitecrm]/cron.php

Where username is your hosting username which is usually some abbreviation of your primary domain name, and [path to suitecrm] is the path to your suitecrm installation.

Once you have the correct command line

1. Log into your cPanel
  2. Scroll down to Advanced Click on Cron Jobs
  3. Paste your created command into the command box and click add new cron job

It should appear at the bottom like * * * * [pasted command]

Your all set I hope you enjoy SuiteCRM as much as I do.

NOTE to admin … I think you should sticky this.

3 Likes

Thanks for this informative guide!

Not sure if this post will be searchable on the world webs but I should say that after much hair being pulled out I finally got the configuration for Green geeks which is, essentially the same as this bluehost solution above.

Just to review for everyone how it works.

On your scheduler area where it runs the work flow items, it will give you a suggested command to enter into a ‘crontab’. I’m so un-smart that I didn’t even know what that was. What it is, if you are like me, is an area in the back end of your hosting provider where you can tell your server to do stuff at certain intervals. So it’s not done within suitecrm but on your server wherever that is. In my case it was a shared hosting.

so:

1. go to ‘cron jobs’ in cpanel (see screenshot)
  2. click the ‘common settings’ drop down and choose the all asterisk option (like my screenshot)
  3. go down to the bottom field called ‘command’ and fill in your server settings like my screen shot

php-cli /home/YOURUSER/public_html/PATHTO/cron.php > /dev/null 2>&1

Note: the bulk of the above command can be copied to your computer’s clipboard from the bottom part of the ‘scheduler’ area in suitecrm. that’s how I got mine. but I had to edit it so that it looked like this one here.

1. hit ‘add new cron job’

done. should work. Worked for me and i got a flurry of emails so heads up on that too :wink:

1 Like

I followed your steps and it worked! Thank you so much you are obviously a clever cookie, this caused me a month of headaches. Cheers

Hello,
I’ve already set my cron job in GreenGeeks, but still does not work, any recommendation in this regard?
Thank you!

Its not working,
I set this in my cpanel to check for daily reminder but not working
0 0 * * * cd /home2/itbrothers/public_html/itbrothers/itcrm/new; php -f cron.php > /dev/null 2>&1