Problems with install

I deleted my installs because I was having problems previously posted elsewhere.

Then I did a fresh install using the softaculous installer from Bluehost.

During the install I took screenshots of the link, the passwords, etc., When I copy and paste the link into a web browser, it takes me to the page, but the page is blank.

I got in touch with bluehost, and they said this is the problem and to contact the developer; however, I doubt it because it was working except for the errors before just yesterday:

Yet for all software installs, I’m forced to use Softaculous, and what I can do with PHP admin is very limited.

Support has been less than useful. I looked at the error logs on the server, and I’ve found this when trying to access the SuiteCRM landing page which seems to be related to trying to reach the SuiteCRM install location:

Main error is cannot serve directory no matching directoryindex. I found some information related to Apache servers and what can be modified on the server; however, I cannot modify the main Apache server configurations, if that’s what they are running on.

I’m also using Wordpress for my main website.

Make sure your installer has correct permissions and ownership

I can’t. I don’t have direct access to modify the permissions and ownership before install. I’m using shared hosting. I don’t have access to a command line.

I have to install using Softaculous in Cpanel.

The installation goes through successfully.

I just receive a blank page upon access like this:

When I look at the server logs, I get:

" No Matching DirectoryIndex"

Which is indicated to resolve as thus:

Which seems to be an Appache error

And the individuals running around not able to fix it at bluehost won’t listen to me or even try it.

Which seems to be an Appache error

Tried install directly to domain name instead of the underlying directory, that didn’t work either. Still the same thing.

The person at bluehost mentioned an htaccess file. Looking at that, it does have a line DirectoryIndex index.php, which is not commented out. Commenting it out saving and trying again no change.

Does anyone know where the install error log lies within the SuiteCRM folders? I would like to check that.

The only error log I found was under the subfolder I installed to \public\error_log. It contained the following errors:

[15-Jun-2024 08:36:51 America/Boise] PHP Deprecated: Return type of Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\Session\Attribute\AttributeBag::getIterator() should either be compatible with IteratorAggregate::getIterator(): Traversable, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in /home4/gsjsupmy/public_html/makeitwork/vendor/symfony/http-foundation/Session/Attribute/AttributeBag.php on line 134
[15-Jun-2024 08:36:51 America/Boise] PHP Deprecated: Return type of Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\Session\Attribute\AttributeBag::count() should either be compatible with Countable::count(): int, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in /home4/gsjsupmy/public_html/makeitwork/vendor/symfony/http-foundation/Session/Attribute/AttributeBag.php on line 144
[15-Jun-2024 08:36:51 America/Boise] PHP Deprecated: Return type of Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\Session\Session::getIterator() should either be compatible with IteratorAggregate::getIterator(): Traversable, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in /home4/gsjsupmy/public_html/makeitwork/vendor/symfony/http-foundation/Session/Session.php on line 131
[15-Jun-2024 08:36:51 America/Boise] PHP Deprecated: Return type of Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\Session\Session::count() should either be compatible with Countable::count(): int, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in /home4/gsjsupmy/public_html/makeitwork/vendor/symfony/http-foundation/Session/Session.php on line 141
Found these errors after attmepte

The only interface I have to modifiy / view files is CP File Manager:

I have a main website on this server, I have a moodle installed to “learn” folder and the SuiteCRM site is currently make it work. I deleted all other installs using Softaculous, then went back and deleted the folders (which were empty) that Softaculous did not do.

All my installations are under /home4/gsjsupmy

The installs:

So I was able to get to the install.php. Then I had to modify the config.php to allow install. In running the pre-installation checks, I have a few warnings:

Are these something I need to worry about?

The file/folder that the URL is referring to above is not present:

“The url used for the call was: https://nordcybersecurity.com/makeitwork/public/api/graphql”

I don’t even have an API folder in there:

But neither does the download direct from SuiteCRM (8.6.1) I extracted just to check:

So if the API’s are missing, maybe that’s why I’m not getting any APIs?

You should never see the word “public” in the URLs. If the web root is set correctly to the public directory, then everything starts from there and that name never shows.

I am not sure you will be able to successfully install SuiteCRM with your current hosting restrictions. I would advise a hosting where you have the sufficient freedoms to use a command line, configure web server, etc.

I do not advise softaculous or other packaged installers.

After the download not having the API’s in the folder they were supposed to be, I decided to try the appliance shown here:

But, it doesn’t exist:

I want a CRM I can access anywhere I am. I cannot believe I’m having sooo many troubles getting this up and working. I’ve spent days screwing with this already!

I have Moodle, a full LMS, installed right on this same server. Took me an hour to set up.

I really think the problem is in the downloadable package not having the API folder as mentioned in the posts.

There would be no cost savings for me to buy hosting from another provider. I’m a small business which needs to do marketing to bring in new clients in order to grow. My monthly outgoing is limited.

Sorry, but you are wrong about the API folder. There are URL rewrites to take care of that.

If you use the official installation instructions, it works, I’ve done it countless times.

I feel that you felt the need to take some different routes trying to facilitate things, or overcome some hurdle, but ended up in worse situation…

That wasn’t in the URL, it was a folder (Windows File Explorer).

I extracted the downloadable installer to see where everything resides within.

Typically in Linux installations (yes I have Linux certifications) installations are a simple copy, and then config based upon the environment.

The installer (downloaded from SuiteCRM website) doesn’t even have the API directory within the public folder like it’s supposed to based upon the error.

API = Application Programming Interface, i.e, graphical images presented to user to use APP.

This would make sense since the installation appears to go through using Softaculous but all I get are blank pages. Blank pages = no APIs

The error during pre-check:

“The url used for the call was: https://nordcybersecurity.com/makeitwork/**public**/api/graphql”

The installer file was unzipped to view contents:

And I traversed into the public folder:

No API folder within the extracted installer:

I wish there was a hash so I could check and make sure the files were downloaded properly.

Even the GitHub images don’t have hash values provided.

But, what is interesting is that the newest version was just released 5 days ago. The install which was working, but throwing errors was installed more than 5 days ago. So it was a different version.

Is there anyway I can get in contact with someone to get the older version? << Edit >> Found on sourgeforge, still no hash values to validate.

While I think the product is interesting, and I love opensource products, the more I read about the problems people have installing SuiteCRM, the more I’m thinking of finding a different product.

I just viewed the install.log referred to by the pre-installation system checks to review for more information (which btw was not in the default install folder as indicated online – it’s actually under a log folder under the install main folder).

Regardless, there is no more additional information provided. I have googled and googled.

I even went and checked each application settings and compared with the compatibility matrix again.

The host is running:
PHP 8.1
Apache 2.4.59
MySQL 5.7.23-23

I’m using Firefox 126, and even testing with compatible versions of Chrome.

The error thrown in the precheck looks like it’s trying to use curl to transfer files to and from the location. But the location doesn’t contain the directory it’s trying to get to – the API directory.

Why is it missing?

Try this step by step to install the latest version of SuiteCRM with Softaculous on CPanel, and then reply back with your results:

Installing SuiteCRM

1. Log in to cPanel.

2. Open Softaculous:

• If you are using the Jupiter theme, on the Tools page, in the Softaculous Apps Installer section, click Softaculous Apps Installer (or any of the icons under Scripts or Categories).
  • If you are using the Paper Lantern theme, in the SOFTACULOUS APPS INSTALLER section of the cPanel home screen, click Softaculous Apps Installer (or any of the icons under Scripts or Categories).
  1. In the Search text box, type suitecrm and then press Enter.

Alternatively, you can use the navigation pane on the left side. To do this, click ERP, and then click SuiteCRM.

1. Click Install. The installation page appears.
  2. In the Choose Protocol list box, select the protocol.

If you have an SSL certificate installed on your site, select https:// or https://www. NOTE: SuiteCRM 8 will not work at all without https! All modern web applications require https. To install a free SSL certificate on your site, refer to CPanel instructions on how to.

1. In the Choose Domain list box, select the domain for installation. Recommended: install SuiteCRM to a subdomain crm.mysite.tld of your main website domain www.mysite.tld
  2. In the In Directory text box, type the directory where you want to install the application, or accept the default value. Examples: /home/mycpanelusername/crm.mysite.tld or /home/mycpanelusername/crm, corresponding with having crm.mysite.tld as the subdomain you’re going to have your SuiteCRM on.

If you want your domain name to go directly to the application, make sure the In Directory text box is blank. **For SuiteCRM 8, you will set In Directory to public. This is one level below the base directory of SuiteCRM 8. **

1. In the Site Name text box, type the site name.
  2. In the Admin Username text box, type the administrator username.
  3. In the Admin Password text box, type the administrator password.

Make sure that you choose a strong password! The Softaculous installer provides a ranking for your password’s strength, and turns green when the password is strong. Alternatively, you can click the icon kb-softaculous-randompassword next to the Admin Password text box, and Softaculous generates a strong, random password for you.

1. In the First Name text box, type the administrator’s first name, or accept the default value.
  2. In the Last Name text box, type the administrator’s last name, or accept the default value.
  3. In the Admin Email text box, type the site administrator e-mail address.
  4. Click the icon kb-softaculous-advancedoptions to expand Advanced Options.
  5. In the Database Name text box, type the name of the database to create for the application, or accept the default value.
  6. If you do not want to receive e-mail notifications when application updates are available, select the Disable Update Notifications Emails check box.

It is strongly recommended that you receive e-mail notifications when application updates are available. Keeping your site updated helps prevent unauthorized access attempts and data loss.

1. In the Backup Location list box, you can select a location to store application backups.
  2. In the Automated backups list box, you can select whether or not Softaculous makes periodic backups of your application.
  3. In the Backup Rotation list box, you can select how often Softaculous overwrites the oldest backup file with a new backup file.
  4. To receive site configuration information after the installation is complete, type an e-mail address in the Email installation details to text box.
  5. Review the installation options and settings, and then click Install. When installation is complete, Softaculous provides information about the application’s configuration.

Configuring SuiteCRM

After you install SuiteCRM in Softaculous, you must complete some additional configuration steps. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Use your web browser to go to the SuiteCRM URL on your account. The login page appears.
  2. To log in, use the administrator username and password that you provided in the previous procedure.
  3. On the Welcome to SuiteCRM page, click Next.
  4. On the Branding page, complete the fields, and then click Next.
  5. On the System Locale Settings page, complete the fields, and then click Next.
  6. On the SMTP Server Specification page, complete the fields with your e-mail server settings. The following steps show how to do this if you host your domain’s e-mail on your cpanel account mail server:
  • Under Choose your Email provider, click Other.
  • In the SMTP Server text box, type your SMTP mail server name.
  • In the SMTP Port text box, type 465.
  • Select the Use SMTP Authentication? check box.
  • In the Enable SMTP over SSL or TLS? list box, select SSL.
  • In the SMTP Username text box, type an e-mail address configured for your account.
  • In the SMTP Password text box, type the password for the e-mail address.
  • To allow other SuiteCRM users to use the account for sending messages, select the Allow users to use this account for outgoing email check box.
  • Click Send Test Email, type an e-mail address that can receive the test message, and then click Send.

If you receive the test message, go to step 7. If you do not receive the test message, check the e-mail settings you provided, and then try again.
7. Click Continue.
8. On the Your Information page, complete the fields, and then click Next.
9. On the Your Locale page, complete the fields, and then click Next.
10. Click Finish. The SuiteCRM dashboard appears.

None of the working SuiteCRM v8 installations have an API directory under the public directory.

This does not prevent URLs such as https://suite8demo.suiteondemand.com/api/graphql from working, because the web server is doing a rewrite of the URLs to forward the request to the correct directory and file:

Your actual problem is that your web server is configured to serve the top level directory, which is incorrect (as per official docs), it should be serving public directory, and your visible URLs would never have any public in them.

Hopefully this c/p will come through with the notes I made as I went along:

Installing SuiteCRM

1. Log in to cPanel.
  2. Open Softaculous: My option is “WordPress Manager by Softaculous”
  • If you are using the Jupiter theme, (I am using Jupiter theme) on the Tools page (don’t have a tools page), in the Softaculous Apps Installer section, click Softaculous Apps Installer (or any of the icons under Scripts or Categories). (my apps are listed off to the left with a search icon)
  • If you are using the Paper Lantern theme, in the SOFTACULOUS APPS INSTALLER section of the cPanel home screen, click Softaculous Apps Installer (or any of the icons under Scripts or Categories). Not applicable
  1. In the Search text box, type suitecrm and then press Enter. (that’s what I have done time and time again already)

Alternatively, you can use the navigation pane on the left side. To do this, click ERP, and then click SuiteCRM.

1. Click Install. (my option is install now) The installation page appears.

2. In the Choose Protocol list box, select the protocol.

3. If you have an SSL certificate installed on your site, select https:// or https://www. NOTE: SuiteCRM 8 will not work at all without https ! All modern web applications require https . To install a free SSL certificate on your site, refer to CPanel instructions on how to. **asic SSL installed, all my visitors have to use https to gain access to the website)

4. In the Choose Domain list box, select the domain for installation. Recommended: install SuiteCRM to a subdomain crm.mysite.tld of your main website domain www.mysite.tld Had to create a subdomain. Called it crm.nordcybersecurity.com. Then I had to modify the main .htaccess file to allow the SSL certificate to serve subdomains https://www.bluehost.com/help/article/subdomains

• In the In Directory text box, type the directory where you want to install the application, or accept the default value. Examples: /home/mycpanelusername/crm.mysite.tld or /home/mycpanelusername/crm, corresponding with having crm.mysite.tld as the subdomain you’re going to have your SuiteCRM on. (my directory is relative to my domain, so I just have to type the directory name in), make sure the In Directory text box is blank. **For SuiteCRM 8, you will set In Directory to public. This is one level below the base directory of SuiteCRM 8. ** Running SuiteCRM 8, so I set the in directory to public. However, in end, that just seemed to add another public under the install, now the admin pages points to SuiteCRM
  1. In the Site Name text box, type the site name.
  2. In the Admin Username text box, type the administrator username. (already set by the installer, created screenshot)
  3. In the Admin Password text box, type the administrator password. (already set by installer, created screenshot)

Make sure that you choose a strong password! The Softaculous installer provides a ranking for your password’s strength, and turns green when the password is strong. Alternatively, you can click the icon next to the Admin Password text box, and Softaculous generates a strong, random password for you. (All of this was already set)

1. In the First Name text box, type the administrator’s first name, or accept the default value. (accepted default)
  2. In the Last Name text box, type the administrator’s last name, or accept the default value. (accepted default)
  3. In the Admin Email text box, type the site administrator e-mail address. Set to joyce.nord@nordcybersecurity.com
  4. Click the icon to expand Advanced Options.
  5. In the Database Name text box, type the name of the database to create for the application, or accept the default value. Autogenerated
  6. If you do not want to receive e-mail notifications when application updates are available, select the Disable Update Notifications Emails check box. Left unchecked

It is strongly recommended that you receive e-mail notifications when application updates are available. Keeping your site updated helps prevent unauthorized access attempts and data loss.

1. In the Backup Location list box, you can select a location to store application backups.
  2. In the Automated backups list box, you can select whether or not Softaculous makes periodic backups of your application. Not an option on this screen.
  3. In the Backup Rotation list box, you can select how often Softaculous overwrites the oldest backup file with a new backup file. Not an option on this screen.
  4. To receive site configuration information after the installation is complete, type an e-mail address in the Email installation details to text box. Set to my personal email address joyce.nord@gmail.com
  5. Review the installation options and settings, and then click Install. When installation is complete, Softaculous provides information about the application’s configuration.

Softaculous said installation was complete.

None of this comes up, because I just get a blank screen. You can verify yourself at SuiteCRM

The above link is what was created by Softaculous:

None of the rest of this would work, because I get the blank page mentioned.

Configuring SuiteCRM

After you install SuiteCRM in Softaculous, you must complete some additional configuration steps. To do this, follow these steps:

Use your web browser to go to the SuiteCRM URL on your account. The login page appears. Still received blank page.

• To log in, use the administrator username and password that you provided in the previous procedure. Can’t do anything her on.
  1. On the Welcome to SuiteCRM page, click Next.
  2. On the Branding page, complete the fields, and then click Next.
  3. On the System Locale Settings page, complete the fields, and then click Next.
  4. On the SMTP Server Specification page, complete the fields with your e-mail server settings. The following steps show how to do this if you host your domain’s e-mail on your cpanel account mail server:
  • Under Choose your Email provider, click Other.
  • In the SMTP Server text box, type your SMTP mail server name.
  • In the SMTP Port text box, type 465.
  • Select the Use SMTP Authentication? check box.
  • In the Enable SMTP over SSL or TLS? list box, select SSL.
  • In the SMTP Username text box, type an e-mail address configured for your account.
  • In the SMTP Password text box, type the password for the e-mail address.
  • To allow other SuiteCRM users to use the account for sending messages, select the Allow users to use this account for outgoing email check box.
  • Click Send Test Email, type an e-mail address that can receive the test message, and then click Send.

If you receive the test message, go to step 7. If you do not receive the test message, check the e-mail settings you provided, and then try again.
7. Click Continue.
8. On the Your Information page, complete the fields, and then click Next.
9. On the Your Locale page, complete the fields, and then click Next.
10. Click Finish. The SuiteCRM dashboard appears.

So how can I get Bluehost to fix this?

I even created a subdomain, modified the .htaccess file so the SSL would work on subdomains, and followed the poster above to create a new install to test the theory.

Still not working.

New subdomain crm.nordcybersecurity.com

About a week and a half ago, I had it working, but there was an error something about unable to retrieve data when I was trying to add targets.

at that time I had it installed to NordCyberSecurity.com – Tackling CyberSecurity for over 25 years!

From there I could login as admin or the user I created.

In order to attempt to fix that issue before I entered much more information, I removed it and reinstalled a new install.

After that, the pages served were blank.

How would the issue you mention somehow change between the first install and what I’m encountering now, i.e., being served from the top instead of from public?

What modifications could cause that? Every Linux server has a bunch of files they configure stuff from and not necessarily the top down. I can’t reboot this server, I can only go with my virtual containment within the environment.

Ok, so now I just created another subdomain to test.

crm2.nordcybersecurity.com

I no longer added the public folder during install.

After install, which completes successfully again, I get a 404 error.

EDIT:

So, there is a demo function within Softaculous installer (so you don’t have to install before looking at it), and it’s just supposed to work having nothing to do with my configurations anywhere. In fact several other CRM applications did demo. But this is what I get with SuiteCRM (the same blank page):

Is someone@ SuiteCRM now willing acknowledge there is a problem with the package?

1. Can you share what it says in your apache virtualhost for your subdomain (accessible in your cpanel) , and in your .htaccess file located in the base directory of the install? Blank out any personal information, such as password, username, IP address, hostname, etc.

2. here is the page of concern in the install guide:
    Webserver Setup Guide :: SuiteCRM Documentation

3. Would you share all log lines of interest from prod.log, php_errors.log, suitecrm.log.

I hope this is what you are referring to:

I had to go into the domain where I created the subdomain:

the .htaccess file located within the SuiteCRM folder

The information you mentioned under item 2 in the above link, I cannot do because I do not have access to the server via CLI.

For prod.log, the one highlighted seemed to be the applicable one:

Too many errors in the log to c/p. Edit: Here’s a link to the file SuiteCRM – Google Drive

I’ll upload it to my google docs then modify post with link.

Don’t seem to have a php_errors.log file:

The top suitecrm_log seemed to be the proper one:

And, it’s empty:

The Softaculous demo always takes a couple of minutes to spin up, and frequently hangs. It is not a relevant sign of “problems with the package”.

About the Softaculous installer, I really don’t know anything about it. SuiteCRM doesn’t support it. I can try helping in any problems that you get in the normal installation process, which is what I’d recommend. But for these alternative processes I don’t know what they’re doing, so it’s hard to know why things don’t work…

I don’t have any explanations as to why things would initially work and then stop working (unless some permissions got degraded, but that would take some local investigation to find out why).

In Cpanel / Advanced do you have Terminal?