Email Templates HTML Editor

It would be useful to have the possibility to edit “true html”. I mean, a way to edit the html and the edited remains without any modifications by the system!

1 Like

I might be wrong but I wonder if the idea was aimed at new users giving them the ability to plug and play modules of code to build an email easily, which is a great idea for new users.

Problem is us old users are used to building our HTML from scratch and just throwing it in and sending it out…

I logged this as a suggestion on SuiteCRM github and got the following reply back:

“I have raised this as a suggestion, this appears to be something which the new editor is limited with. we will investigate this and update shortly.”

Sounds promising!

Thanks for your suggestion.
Any news by any luck ?

Greeting,
:slight_smile:

@chris2: could you paste the link to the github issue you posted?

Clearly this is it:

https://github.com/salesagility/SuiteCRM/issues/2266

can you please post that in here how to revert back to the old editor.

Regards

Cedric

We’re in the same position, would love to just use good old HTML without the editor hacking my work into pieces!

I just found out I have this exact same problem! I cannot edit my previously created HTML email notification templates. They are mostly text but do have my HTML signature at the bottom. Moreover, if I click on edit text I get a completely different email template than the one I have open! This is seriously broken and, on top of the issue I pointed out where the HTML editor completely messes up HTML templates, makes SuiteCRM almost a deal breaker. I cannot imagine a half decent CRM (free or not) with such basic functionality not working. I am using PHPList for all my emailing. I have to duplicate contacts and lists but at least PHPlist sends out emails the way I write them up without messing with the CSS/HTML, etc. This is unbelievable to say the least. Without having a thread asking for what people would like to see in SuiteCRM, I think these core, fundamental issues really should be fixed.

Really stupid question but does anyone know of a decent way of converting html into Mozaik (or whatever is at fault) outside of Suite, and whether this can produce any better results?

We simply cannot use SuiteCRM for anything other than very basic emails.

I agree. I can’t even use it for basic emails. This is really a big problem.

This is definitely a major issue and not just a suggestion!

In addition all the “tidying” should be set as an option instead of something that happens without the possibility to decide, specially on pasted or edited by hand html code.

The only way I found around this is to edit the code directly in the database, otherwise it keeps replacing the styling with the boring Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif fonts. It removes any markup on preview … so the code editor is useless! What’s the point for an HTML5 editor if you can’t create custom blocks?

1 Like

In previous SuiteCRM versions I disabled the html purifier, so I could use html from other sources
This worked:

In /include/clean.php about line 189. replace code with:

if(1==1) {$cleanhtml = $html; }

But when i do this now in suitecrm 7.7.5. (together with the previous tip to replace the maps: Emailtemplates & Campaigns (from version 7.4.1 / not 7.1.8):

• i got html almost perfect (only first picture shifted)
  • see both new and old email-editors below each other
  • can not edit the template after use in an Campaign-email marketing record, because then the html code will disappear

Are we close to a workaround??

You shouldn’t change it there, that function is called from several different places in the code, so you will be breaking about 8 different things with that change…

You might want to look at modules/Emails/Email.php instead, I suppose that is where it is called from when handling email “saves”.

Even there, I suppose some of that cleaning is beneficial, or is it all evil?

any news about this problem?

we currently have the same problem. We load content generated from external CMS into the editor but HTML-Changes make the design useless.

with old version (tinymce) it worked.

do we really have to downgrade the Campaign an EmailTemplate Module or are there already other solutions?

regards

Suggestion for everybody on this thread. Go to this page

create a Github account if you don’t have one yet, and give a “+1” reaction on the top of the issue (on the initial text).

We have recently been told this is a good way to flag up an issue for developers’ attention, since it allows listing issues sorted by reaction, like this:

https://github.com/salesagility/SuiteCRM/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+sort%3Areactions-%2B1-desc

You can also follow these instructions so that you can keep the new Campaigns module:

https://suitecrm.com/community/forum/developer-help/9165-how-to-disable-or-hide-mozaik-view-of-email-templete-suitecrm-7-6-1

Hello,

If somebody is still interested.
Attached is patch for This problem which applies solutions menitioned in this and related threads.

Patch adds new button in DetailView menu for EmailTemplate, where one can select if he wants new style or old style editing of template.

Patch EmailTemplates-7.7.9_default_no_rwd.diff.gz is better, since default to old style and Duplicate action is working OK.
With patch EmailTemplates-7.7.9_default_rwd.diff.gz on Duplicate can not be used on old-style templates, since mozaik strips formating on load.

To Apply the patch:
0. Make backup of modules/EmailTemplates

1. Download the file
  2. cd modules/EmailTemplates (Wherever you have the instalation)
  3. gzip -cd EmailTemplates-7.7.9_default_no_rwd.diff.gz | patch -p1
  4. Clean browser cache
  5. test, test, test …

I applied the patch on versions 7.79 and 7.6.10

2 Likes

Files uploaded also to: