Dedicated web server or shared?

I have installed SuiteCRM on a hostgator shared web server using softaculous. However, it seems quite slow. I’m not sure how normal this is.

Much like this question from a few years ago, I’m trying to figure out the best way to run SuiteCRM.

Is it advisable to pay for a dedicated web server rather than shared hosting? Does it make a big difference? Is there a particular web host(s) that is recommended?

Or even, would it be easiest/cheapest to set up a web server myself on a old machine or something? This instance of SuiteCRM is only going to be used by a small company, but it needs to work smoothly - ie if it takes 10 seconds to load a screen every time you navigate, that’s a problem, but if the server goes down twice a year for half a day, that’s less of a problem.

I’ve read through the installation guide and watched a few tutorials, and while I do software development I’m not very experienced with server provision, so I’m also trying to gauge doing it myself, I could probably ‘code along’ by just copying commands without knowing exactly what I’m doing, but is that dangerous (ie might it cause subtle problems that you won’t know about until 6 months later and it becomes operation critical)? Just as an example, on the official SuiteCRM youtube channel the guy doing the demo says something like “I’m setting permissions to 775 just for this demonstration, if you set these permissions in real life then more fool you”, well, I don’t know why I’d be more of a fool, if you see what I mean - I’d just be more or less copying and pasting commands from tutorials without understanding them.

Do SuiteCRM (or Sales Agility, I think it is) offer hosting as well as support? I’d like to still be able to access the code and the databases etc.

Thanks.

SalesAgility have SuiteOnDemand which is basically Hosted SuiteCRM + support.

I like the option of running locally in a VM, it’s so much better and easier and faster and cheaper for most things. But it also has its challenges, and you need some expertise.

I find that having VMs with full backups in a different machine makes it so straight-forward to recover from tragedies that the advantages of running in the cloud vanish (for scenarios like the one you describe, smaller companies where some downtime is ok)

Of course, if your problem is just performance, you can find performant cloud servers, it’s a matter of price really.

1 Like