When a newbee faces a common misconfiguration

Hi,
I’m trying to install SuiteCRM 7.12.4 for three days. Even I’ve been working for decades in the IT, I’m not a technical profile. So when I encounter technical difficulties, I lose a lot of time doing research… For instance, yesterday I was stuck for more than 4 hours to solve the message I was facing “the provided datable host, username, and/or password is invalid”.
I was so happy when I passed this stage… I thought I had finally reached the end of the installation process. But then a new message appeared : " SuiteCRM relies upon PHP sessions to store important information while connected to this web server. Your PHP installation does not have the Session information correctly configured.
A common misconfiguration is that the ‘session.save_path’ directive is not pointing to a valid directory.
Please correct your PHP configuration in the php.ini file located here below.
/etc/php/7.4/apache2/php.ini"

After clicking on the link “PHP configuration”, I decided to ask you for help cause I definitely don’t understand what is being explained to me…
When I open the file named php.ini, all is comment cause each line starts by a semicolon. In the section “about this file”, there is mention of 2 files .ini, one for development and one for production. Both are totally empty…
So I really don’t know how to solve the problem I’m facing.

if anyone has encountered the same problem and/or knows how I can get out of this situation, I would greatly appreciate if they could enlighten me.

Fred

Did you try opening php.ini, searching for the line session.save_path uncommenting it and setting it to an existing directory that your webserver can write to?

I didn’t because I don’t know how to change the lines below (from php.ini) :

“;session.save_path = “N;/path”
;
; where N is an integer. Instead of storing all the session files in
; /path, what this will do is use subdirectories N-levels deep, and
; store the session data in those directories. This is useful if
; your OS has problems with many files in one directory, and is
; a more efficient layout for servers that handle many sessions.
;
; NOTE 1: PHP will not create this directory structure automatically.
; You can use the script in the ext/session dir for that purpose.
; NOTE 2: See the section on garbage collection below if you choose to
; use subdirectories for session storage”.

from my terminal I created a directory “save path” where permissions are : drwxrwxrwx.
So your idea would be I uncomment the first line of the extract above and I replace /path by /var/…/savepath ? Correct ?
I take advantage of this message to ask you which integer I put in place of N ?
Thanks in advance for your time.
Fred

yeah, give that a try.

Read the comments on what N does and the additional steps you need to take when implementing it (directory creation script, manually handling garbage collection) before adding an integer. I have a feeling that it is not needed in your usecase and would needlessly complicate things.

If this ends up solving your problem, you’ll probably want to go back and set the permissions on this directory to be more limited so that you’re only granting access to the webserver (or whatever other processes that need it) and not global access.

There may also be some other issue with your install or php config though, as in my environment, it works without session.storage_path defined.

I think you’re right, it’s not my only problem.
Just to be sure I made the changes shared. it doesn’t work.
I restart the installation process from the beginning. I’ll let you know.
Thanks for your help.
Fred