Upgrade to 7.8.7 makes Studio missing

I have two separate instances of 7.8.7 LTS, and both return a blank page for the Studio. Any ideas how to solve this issue?

Blank pages are usually FATAL PHP errors, you should have relevant messages in your web-server log (usually this is called php_errors.log or errors.log).

You are right: I get an error in my apache-errorlog. Unfortunatley it did though not help me much :frowning:

PHP Fatal error:  Can't use method return value in write context in /path/to/suitecrm/include/ListView/ListViewSubPanel.php on line 264, referer: https://my.suitecrm.tld/index.php?module=Administration&action=index

This is what is found around line 264 in include/ListView/ListViewSubPanel.php

163:            //GETTING OFFSET
164:            $offset = empty($this->getOffset($html_varName)) ? 0 : $this->getOffset($html_varName);
165:            //$totaltime = 0;

I looked up that PHP error and there are answers in Stack Overflow explaining how to get rid of it.

But the real problem is: how come it’s reaching that point in the code with variables that cause problems on your two (!) systems, but not on other systems? Now that’s the mystery…

I figured out what is the problem. the “empty”-function in PHP can’t check a return-value of a function or method. It can only check variables. To fix this, you need to change row 264:

--- a/include/ListView/ListViewSubPanel.php        2017-10-05 05:00:51.000000000 +0300
+++ b/include/ListView/ListViewSubPanel.php        2017-10-09 00:55:11.000000000 +0300
@@ -261,7 +261,8 @@
             reset($data);

//GETTING OFFSET
-            $offset = empty($this->getOffset($html_varName)) ? 0 : $this->getOffset($html_varName);
+            $getOffset = $this->getOffset($html_varName);
+            $offset = empty($getOffset) ? 0 : $this->getOffset($html_varName);
             //$totaltime = 0;
             $processed_ids = array();

I’ll post a bugreport to gihub so this get’s fixed.

FIgured out that the php-versions prior 5.5 had this limitation, so php 5.5 and newer versions should work
https://secure.php.net/manual/en/function.empty.php
So, it’s time to upgrade my php to something more modern :slight_smile: (and skip the bugreport to github)

I would have spotted that if you had posted versions of your OS, PHP, database, Web server, SuiteCRM. Very few people do that here, and I waste a big part of my time here asking for those details, or giving misguided help…

Anyway, it’s a lesson for the future, and the really important part is that you got things working now! :slight_smile: Thanks for reporting back the solution.