Upgrade from SugarCRM 6.5.16 CE to SuiteCRM 7.1.1 starting with a fresh install of SuiteCRM (SOLVED)

I have a question about the upgrade process. I’ve read to documentation and it isn’t clear on the process.
I have an install of SugarCRM 6.5.16 and I would like to migrate completely to SuiteCRM 7.1.1. I odn’t want to do an in-place upgrade, I need to start with a fresh install of SuiteCRM.

My question is, can I take an MySql backup of the Sugar database to simply restore it over the n blank Suite database? Or is there a method o upgrade?

thanks,

Ian

Duplicate your sugar datebase and then point suitecrm to that database and do a repair and rebuild twice, rebuild relationship, repair roles.

That should work.

Note that any custom fields will transfered but not custom modules that you might have in sugar.

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. I’m guessing that custom fields will come across as well.

I’ll try ti out and see how I get on.

Ian

So I did the suggestion and it looked like it was OK until I ran the repair.
After that I now get an error 500 on the server when trying to open a contact, below is what is contained on the webserver log:

2014/06/19 13:23:35 [error] 10605#0: *661 FastCGI sent in stderr: “PHP message: PHP Fatal error: Smarty error: [in cache/modules/Contacts/DetailView.tpl line 602]: syntax error: unbalanced parenthesis in if statement (Smarty_Compiler.class.php, line 1268) in /var/www/clients/client1/web4/web/include/Smarty/Smarty.class.php on line 1095” while reading response header from upstream, client: xx.xx.xx.xx, server: suitecrm request: “GET /index.php?module=Contacts&offset=9&stamp=1403180606086204900&return_module=Contacts&action=DetailView&record=2c60555f-67ef-9c46-aec8-52af5c2430b6 HTTP/1.1”, upstream: “fastcgi://unix:/var/lib/php5-fpm/web4.sock:”, host: “suitecrm”, referrer: “http://suitecrm/index.php?module=Contacts&action=index&parentTab=Sales

Any thoughts,

Ian

The layout is looking for fields or something in the defs that does’nt exist.

Did you have any custom modules or plugins installed in sugar?

I think I know whats wrong. Suite installs custom fields when you run the installer. Since you have just pointed Suite at the old database you will be missing these custom fields.

What to do is run a standard installation of suite on another database, when its finished go into the database and copy the records from the fields_meta_data table that are missing from the same table in your broken instance and then run a repair once again and that should add the missing fields causing the problems.

The fields_meta_data table contains your custom fields so be carefule not to overwrite any of your orgininal custom fields when doing this.

We had two module installed but i didn’t think they put anything in the UI:

1, inBox25
2, DrupaltoSugar

We did have a number of custom fields which were setup and I know some of these were a exposed in the GUI in contact, hence me wanting to get in there to see if they upgraded. I think we added a date field and free text box to the Contact record.

I hope that helps,

Ian

Copy the fields meta data table records over as I said above.

I’ve just copied them over and I can now edit the contact.

The layout isn’t the same as on Sugar so I don’t see the custom fields, I guess I can just alter the layout in Suite back to what it was in Sugar.

Ian

Yep thats normal, the layouts are contained in custom definition files not the database.

Ok, can I copy them over (I don’t know where they are) or should I re-create?

Thanks

You should be able to copy them over:

They are in: custom/modules/Contacts/metadata/

Hi there,

Just wanted to say that I think I’m all up and running now.

Ian