Make a quick vote 🗳 ️How do you refer to SuiteCRM extensions: add-ons or plug-ins? Click here to have your say 👈

Upgrade from 8.1 to 8.1.1 breaks SuiteCRM and is non functional afterwards despite upgrade passing tests

We recently installed 8.1 and now the upgrade to 8.1.1 this is what happened when we ran the upgrade:

./bin/console suitecrm:app:upgrade -t SuiteCRM-8.1.1

SuiteCRM Upgrade
============

Running: check-package
step: check-package | status: done
Package found in path
Running: extract-package
step: extract-package | status: done
Package extracted
Running: check-permissions
step: check-permissions | status: done
Permissions checked
Running: install-upgrade-package
step: install-upgrade-package | status: done
Successfully installed package
Running: run-migrations
step: run-migrations | status: done
Successfully run migrations
Running: legacy-post-upgrade
libpng warning: Interlace handling should be turned on when using png_read_image
libpng warning: Interlace handling should be turned on when using png_read_image
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
libpng warning: Interlace handling should be turned on when using png_read_image
libpng warning: Interlace handling should be turned on when using png_read_image
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
libpng warning: Interlace handling should be turned on when using png_read_image
step: legacy-post-upgrade | status: done
Post Upgrade process complete
Running: clear-symfony-cache
step: clear-symfony-cache | status: done
Successfully cleared cache

As you cans ee all went exactly as the upgrade article described. Upgrading :: SuiteCRM Documentation

However on trying to login to SuiteCRM after the upgrade. It is obvious things are broken. The login bar is just a thin empty bar and when logged in as a normal user or admin there is only a Home icon and nothing in the user menu on the top right except logout. The new drop down menu has no content.

Clearly, something broke when upgrading. We now have a non functional system,

How do we downgrade or restore our system?

Urgent help appreciated.

Cheers
Tony

I have exactly the same issue.

I ran a permissions reset and it fixed all my issues. It’s worth a try. Generally, I’ve found that re-setting permissions, then a quick repair and rebuild fix most problems after an upgrade (make sure you use the version 8 SSH commands).

I can tell you I just upgraded to 8.1.1 and my installation works.

Failing the above, check for error logs.

1 Like
find . -type d -not -perm 2755 -exec chmod 2755 {} \;
find . -type f -not -perm 0644 -exec chmod 0644 {} \;
find . ! -user www-data -exec chown www-data:www-data {} \;

Check file ownership before the third one. It may not be www-data:www.-data

Why would an upgrade script break the permissions and render the platform unusable when it could easily set the permissions following any upgrade and not break the product!

Crazy!

Did that work for you? Let us know in case anyone else has the issue.

Not fully tested but it brought back menu items etc.

Another comment would be that install and upgrade via the CLI is the way to go as you can see at least what is happening.

I could get the menus and content back by following the reset permissions fix documented above. I also realised that when doing the upgrade it deleted everything in the root folder that was also installed in my case webmail. Fortunately I had backed up the entire directory tree so could reinstate the webmail directory afterwards…

Cheers
Tony

The permissions (chown and chmod) worked for me Paul, thanks. However I notice the console script no longer works. I think this needs to be 755.

FWIW my upgrades to 8.1 and 8.1.1 from 8.04 both failed due to not being able to find a container directory. Ignoring the failure, it still seems to have upgraded and works, after the permission reset.

I had the same issue after upgrading SuiteCRM from 8.1 to 8.1.1. I’m using the Docker image by Bitnami. I could successfully upgrade SuiteCRM with these commands:

docker exec -it <container-id> bash

cd bitnami/suitecrm/

mkdir -p tmp/package/upgrade

curl -L https://suitecrm.com/files/147/SuiteCRM-8.1/623/SuiteCRM-8.1.1.zip -o tmp/package/upgrade/SuiteCRM-8.1.1.zip

# To get this information: ls -l (in public folder)
# User: daemon
# Group: root

chown daemon:root tmp/package/upgrade/SuiteCRM-8.1.1.zip

php ./bin/console suitecrm:app:upgrade -t "SuiteCRM-8.1.1"

find . -type d -not -perm 2755 -exec chmod 2755 {} \;
find . -type f -not -perm 0644 -exec chmod 0644 {} \;
find . ! -user daemon -exec chown daemon:root {} \;

rm -r tmp/package/upgrade/*