Unable to load dynamic library 'ssh2.so'

Hello recently I Upgraded my SO from 16.x to 22.04 also I upgraded the PHP version at same time from 7.2 to 7.4 … 8.x and I installed some extensions for PHP, but im having issues with SSH2.so im getting this error

someone has some idea how can i fix this issue?

Here are the steps to troubleshoot the “unable to load dynamic library ssh2.so” error in PHP:

1. Check Installation and Configuration:

• Verify Installation: Ensure the SSH2 extension is installed. If not, install it using your system’s package manager (e.g., apt-get install php7.4-ssh2 for Debian/Ubuntu).
  • Enable Extension: If installed, enable it in your php.ini file by removing the semicolon before extension=ssh2.so.
  • Locate Extension: Make sure the ssh2.so file is in the correct directory, usually in /usr/lib/php/modules/ or /usr/lib64/php/modules/.

2. Check File Permissions:

• The PHP process needs read permissions for the ssh2.so file. Use chmod +r to grant read permissions if necessary.

3. Verify Architecture Compatibility:

• Match the library’s architecture (32-bit or 64-bit) with your PHP version. Use php -i | grep Architecture to check PHP’s architecture.

4. Address Missing Dependencies:

• Install any required external libraries (e.g., libssh2-1-dev on Debian/Ubuntu).

5. Resolve Conflicts:

• Temporarily disable other extensions to rule out conflicts.

6. Specific Environment Troubleshooting:

• WAMP: Ensure you’re using the Thread Safe (TS) version of SSH2 that matches your PHP version and architecture.
  • XAMPP: Check for a separate configuration file for the PHP CLI (command-line interface).

7. Additional Checks:

• File Path: Verify the file path in the error message matches the actual location of ssh2.so.
  • PHP Version Compatibility: Confirm the SSH2 extension is compatible with your PHP version.
  • Web Server Restart: Restart your web server after any changes.

8. Provide Specific Details of the Environment:

• Provide more details about your environment (operating system and version, PHP version, web server and version, installation method) for help.
1 Like