Ubuntu 18 XML Parsing Package?

Quick install question:
I can easily follow pgr’s Xenial (16LTS) install notes here: https://suitecrm.com/suitecrm/forum/installation-upgrade-help/11561-installing-on-ubuntu-16-04-1#45976 and all works fine. Package php-xml-parser seems to have disappeared from Bionic’s (18LTS) repositories. Wondering if xml parsing has been wrapped into another package for php7.2 or if perhaps there is a different flavor/package of choice for xml parsing. Or, alternatively, do I need to add a repository to try and get php-xml-parser a different way?
Thanks.

Trying to put 7.11.9 on 18.04.3 with LAMP stack.

Just a very quick copy-paste from my notes for all versions

apt install zip unzip iotop htop php-mbstring php7.0-mbstring php-gettext php-xml-parser php7.0-zip php7.0-imap php7.0-gd php7.0-curl phpmyadmin php-xdebug 

apt install zip unzip iotop htop php-mbstring php7.2-mbstring php-gettext php-xml php7.2-zip php7.2-imap php7.2-gd php7.2-curl php-gd phpmyadmin php-xdebug

apt install zip unzip iotop htop php-mbstring php7.3-mbstring php-gettext php-xml php7.3-zip php7.3-imap php7.3-gd php7.3-curl php7.3-intl php7.3-mysql php-gd phpmyadmin php-xdebug

That’s versions of PHP, not Ubuntu. I think I already installed on 18.04 without any special issues, but I might be mis-remembering. Tell me if the above helps.

1 Like

Sorry pgr, I thought I had replied to this a few days ago. Yes, that was exactly what I needed. There are some key differences between ubuntu 16 & 18, php7.0 & php7.2 and also a recent change (I believe) starting with mysql v. 5.7.

PHP stuff: Some packages are obsoleted or no longer available for either php7.2 or in the Ubuntu 18 repositories.

MySQL: Starting with 5.7, “password” was removed from the database and replaced with “authentication_string”.

Ubuntu 16 (xenial) runs tasksel during OS install which lets you install Samba, OpenSSH, LAMP, etc. Further, during LAMP install in Xenial (ubuntu 16) you are asked to enter mysql root pw. In Bionic (ubuntu 18), tasksel is not run/installed. The install ISO gives you a choice of a few popular “snapshots” (popular tailored versions of ubuntu 18 server). Your only choice is yes/no to install OpenSSH, nothing else. That means on a new Bionic OS, if you install tasksel and then LAMP, because mysql 5.7 has omitted “password”, root PW is --technically I’m not sure, either hashed from the sudo user’s password installing mysql… or left as root blank pw and sudo is required to access mysql… I’m not sure.

Your php7.2 install add-ons/prerequisites worked perfect, thank you very much. I really appreciate it. With mysql v.5.7 I simply created a new mysql user with a strong password (https://passwordsgenerator.net/) and then created a new db (named after the company that will use SuiteCRM). Then when I got to the SuiteCRM web-gui install pages I used the mysql db name I had created, localhost, the username I had created and the password I set for the user.

Everything worked perfectly, thank you!

Next on to customizing themes. Well, I don’t really need to customize a theme, I already cloned per the tech docs, now I need to figure out what color is what so I can customize a set of theme colors to match the company’s colors, look, feel, etc.

If the community is interested, I wrote up a pretty detailed install instructions so if I get hit by a bus I don’t leave the user stranded :slight_smile:

I downloaded (beta) Ubuntu 20 LTS server and plan to try that with the php7.3 suggestions from your notes. Once Ubuntu 20.04.x (first security release) is released I’ll move SuiteCRM up to ubuntu 20. Not sure when first security release will happen so not sure if I should try ubuntu 20 with php7.4 or stick with php7.3…

Is there a library of free add-on modules anywhere and are any of the free modules good?

Thanks again!

The community would appreciate any its of documentation that you can provide, thanks!

I don’t know of many free add-ons, normally they are in the SuiteCRM Store for a cost…