Text Field Not Displayed in Report

I have a report that is behaving oddly. It has seven columns and six of them are being displayed correctly but one field is not being populated and I cannot figure out why. This is SuiteCRM Version 7.14.4 and the report is on the Calls module (although I’ve renamed it “Calls, Emails, and Meetings”. The field in question is one that I added in Studio, but at least one other field in the report was also added in Studio and it’s working. Furthermore, the report was working until recently (I believe it worked with 7.13.x but I’m not 100% sure when the problem started. Because the project deals with hospitals and the contract we’re on doesn’t allow hospital names to be published, I’ve blurred sections of these screen shots. The problem I’m having is with the “All persons involved” column. As you can see, the HTML being generated has an li (HTML List Item) marker but no text. In the report, it just shows the bullet. Exporting to CSV shows the column as empty.

The field DOES have text in it. This is the detail of the first record in the report in the above screen shot:

And both this field and the Next Action field are TextArea. The Next Action field is displayed properly. There is no obvious different in the way the two fields are defined or included in the report.

I’ve tried deleting the field and adding it again but that made no different. I’m stumpted for a solution and would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

– HHH

It is weird. But, I guess you have comma (,) in that text field. So, it is not able to export that record in the CSV file. Check out the below topic.

Hi,
The issue is strange. So like the way @rsp is saying it can be related to the stored data. So you should check for the data. Better is to take backup and clean the column, and then add value in 1 row and then check, if it appears in the report or not.

Thanks

It isn’t just the CSV where the problem shows up. The column doesn’t have content even in the report on screen. Any export to CSV that doesn’t account for commas isn’t worth much and the export here works fine in that regard. Both the Description and the Next Action field, which display on screen and export to CSV without any problem, also have commas in their content.

So, while this MAY be a problem with the data, which I honestly hadn’t considered, I don’t really think it’s a simple as commas in the data. I will, however, look at the data and see if there’s something else going on.

Well, it took a good while for me to figure out how to solve this. I have a development version of the site and that was not exhibiting the behavior. I did a comparison of all files to see what, if anything, was different between the two sites (they are both running version 7.14.4). There were quite a few minor differences but nothing seemed relevant. Then I looked at the data and found that the “All persons involved” column has embedded tabs and newline characters. But that was true on the development site, as well, where everything worked. Finally, I searched in the code for the string <li style="margin-left:10px;"> since that’s what was showing up in the HTML of the report (see the first screenshot in my initial query above). That showed up in a number of files, including ./cache/modules/AOW_WorkFlow/CallsDetailViewpersons_involved_c.tpl and I could see that file also had the <input> field from the HTML. It had a different variable name in the <li> tag from what was in the <input> value (which looking in the HTML was what I wanted displayed).

So, I cleared the cache by running a Quick Repair and Rebuild and that fixed the problem. Of course I should have tried the QRR much sooner, so that’s on me. But I have no idea how that file got cached that way, since it’s not what the report should every have had. Maybe someone changed it and then changed it back but the cache stuck. Anyway, it’s working now.

The lesson learned is always start with a Quick Repair and Rebuild.

1 Like

That’s awesome! You are able to figure it out. You can mark your reply to solution :white_check_mark: