System Check Acceptance: Writable Upload Directory Error

I am currently in the process of installing SuiteCRM 8.2.4 on my Synology NAS (DS716+) with the Web Server package. I have been able gain access to the installation page but when I fill out the form and click PROCEED it tells me I have an error on just the Writable Upload Directory. All other folders show the appropriate access.

From the research I have done prior to writing this topic, I have already double checked the permissions for the folder. I have assigned them to http:http since that is the user and group the web server set up and have adjusted the rw privileges to 775 for the key directories.

At this point I am not sure what else I can do to get the check to work.

Stats:
Apache 2.4
MariaDB
PHP 8.0

To confirm is the upload directory that is being checked the one in the ./suitecrm/public/legacy/ location?

To confirm, you ran
chmod –R 755 .

then

chmod -R 775 cache custom modules themes data upload config_override.php

Correct?

That is correct. The specified directories (cache custom modules …etc) would be the ones in the legacy folder correct?

I should also note that when I do a search for “config_override.php” nothing shows up. Was this removed in a recent release?

Yup, that’s the folder. You ran it recursively right? So it updates all the sub folders? What permissions are you seeing if you go into the upload folder? May be something in a sub folder causing an issue then.

Yes. Ran it recursively from the root ‘suitecrm’ folder.

These are the permissions showing for the upload folder specifically:
“drwsrwsr-x 1 http http 32 May 15 10:47 upload”

Interestingly I am seeing “rws” rather than the “rwx” that is displayed on other directories. Not sure I know the difference.

Just confirmed, looks to be the same permissions on my current install that I’m running. Or close, here is what my index.html file shows

-rwxrwxr-x  1 wtzxdgua wtzxdgua     56 Feb 28 13:43 index.html*
  • meaning it’s an executable file. You’re running this as root/sudo right?

I am running this as the user ‘html’ and group ‘html’ as that is the user the Web Station uses.

To set the permissions I did use sudo.

That is odd for sure… I’d lean towards the user in set up not having access to execute that index.html file being the issue… How did you go about installing your instance? Are you self hosting/ self managing the hosting or going through 3rd party hosting?

I am self hosing on a Synology NAS with the Web Station to handle the environment. It gives me access to Apache 2.4 and PHP 8.0.

When I set everything it up it gives me my “web” folder (I think this might be comparable to www or html on other platforms) which after creating a “suitecrm” root is where I pasted all of the files from the SuiteCRM download.

I’m not sure if it’s telling but I do not show the “License” tab when I load the install wizard page.

Database set up too?

Did you follow instructions here

Also, in reading through it it says to set permissions to 2755 no just 755, may be worth a shot there since you’re in it.

Yep. Been staring at that page since yesterday. Set up the DB with a user. I didn’t create a table or anything.

Installed all the php modules on your server?

• cli
  • curl
  • common
  • intl
  • json
  • gd
  • mbstring
  • mysqli
  • pdo_mysql
  • openssl
  • soap
  • xml
  • zip

So the list of PHP modules I have access to are:

• curl
  • gd
  • imap
  • intl
  • ldap
  • mysqli
  • openssl
  • pdo_mysql
  • soap
  • zip

Missing:

• cli
  • common
  • intl
  • mbstring
  • json
  • xml

I wasn’t sure if these would get me started and then focus on bringing the other PHP modules in after I figure out how to add them.

Perhaps foolish of me.

That may be part of the issue then yeah. I’d try there first. It’s been a bit since I’ve done a manual install, so I can’t recall if I ran into any issues like this previously. Most recent installs have been through either wordpress sites or other installers (bitnami and such).

Jkortus1234 I appreciate your help. My next step will be to work to add the missing PHP modules and hopefully that solves the issue.

There is also a checkbox for “ignore system warnings” on the configuration page, if it’s letting you get that far… May be a false flag that’s causing that error? I’d start with the required php first.

Definitely install all modules prior to attempting installation, and definitely use the 2 prefix for the directory permissions. :+1:

Hey jKortus,

Ok. So I did some digging and using phpinfo() I found that the modules I thought were missing were actually installed native to PHP 8.0. Which is great news because finding the source code and building/compiling the missing modules was giving me a headache!

The only ones I am not sure about are:

• cli - I think this shows that it is installed

• Common - Not seeing any reference to that wording but I think it might be Core?

As @pgr mentioned I will use the 2 prefix for the directory permissions and try that out.

@pgr I hope you don’t mind but I wanted to continue this thread as the main.

Hopefully that solves it.

1 Like

So I have gone through and redid all of the permissions and I am getting the same Directory Writable error. I am starting to lean towards there might be an issue with the directory validation method. I have begun to dive into the Install code to see if I can bypass the Upload directory check.