My suiteCRM 7.1.1 runs on windows server 2008. This is mandatory for me (from CED of my company). Now, upgrading from suiteCRM 7.0 to 7.1.1 I’m really facing with a lot of problems and bugs. Can we definitively say that suitecrm 7.1.1 is not compatible with windows?
There is no reason why it should not work. I am running on various forms of windows on different machines using IIS/PHP/MySQL, Apache/PHP/MySQL and xampp.
If you are having too many problems with the 7.1.1 upgrade, then roll back to the backup you made before deploying it.
If you list the problems/symptoms, someone should be able to give you some specific advice.
With suitecrm 7.1.1 I have problems also with brand new installation.
What is your Server/MySQL/PHP setup? Did you set up your instances with particular customizations for 7.1.1 ?
For example I can’t create new dashlets as explained here:
(it seems some kind of permissions problem)
I am running SuiteCRM 7.02 on MS Server 2012 with IIS web server, MySQL 5.6, PHP5.5.8 as fast-cgi.
To eliminate permissions errors, I have set the entire SuiteCRM folder and children to full control by Everyone and rely on the security of the server rather than that of individual folders. There have been no problems since.
There may be cries of “it’s insecure” from the stands B) but it works and I cannot see much difference between opening up some folders and opening them all up. You may get a warning or two from PHP about file accessibility but that can be addressed on a case by case basis.
actually i didn’t have any problem with SuiteCRM 7.0.X on windows. Problems began after moving to 7.1.1 version, ONLY ON WINDOWS MACHINE. Now we are really planning to transfer the entire application on linux server.