SuiteCRM in Higher Education

Hello,
I’m looking for some guidance on implementing SuiteCRM in an education environment. Specifically, I’d like to know how others have configured courses, sections, semesters, and enrollments. I imagine students and applicants would be contacts. Would courses be products? Contracts?
Any examples or demos would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

My suggestions, based on a system I set up a few years ago for schools (not universities):

• applicants are Leads

• actual students are Contacts

• Accounts are used to group students into classes and courses, with several levels (see multi-account belonging here: https://pgorod.github.io/Concepts-Accounts-Contacts/)

• Cases are also good to use for the enrollment process

• this didn’t include the school database of grades, that was a separate system. To do this in SuiteCRM would require a larger customization.

I recommend using some knowledgeable consultancy to migrate your data and get the concepts right, from the beginning. Tell me if you want to be contacted by SalesAgility about such a project. If not, just keep asking me questions here, and I will answer.

1 Like

Hello pgr,
Thanks so much for responding to my post last year. I confess that I didn’t realize I had gotten a response until just now. Sorry.

I’m attempting to utilize your suggestions and have a few issues…

How would I convert a Lead (applicant) to a Contact (student) without creating an Account?

We often have multiple students who work for the same employer which I assume would be an Account. We’d like to be able to market to the Account and get reports about the Account, but don’t want each student to become a new account when converting a Lead to a Contact.

Also, if we are to use Accounts to group students into Courses, how can we assign a student to multiple Accounts (one for each course plus their employer)?

I was thinking that Contracts might be a good basis for Courses, but it seems Contracts are tied to Accounts rather than Contacts. Is there a workaround for that?

I appreciate any guidance you can offer here.

Thanks.

When converting, there is no requirement to add a new Account. You can also just select a pre-existing Account.

If you use Account to group students in classes, like I suggest, then you should use a different concept for “employer”. You can add a different module for that, or reuse an existing module if you find it brings useful functionality.

Also remember that sometimes you don’t need a full-fledged module to express a piece of data, depending on how complex the data and its relationships are. For example, if your concept of Course is a simple one, maybe all you need it to store a string in a field.

1 Like

It is good for you if you build new modules

1 Like

Hello,
Yes, I’m thinking I will need to add some modules. Your screenshot looks precisely like what I’m going to need. I have to get myself educated on creating a module. I’m working on this in my spare time, so the pace is slower than I’d like, But excited about the possibilities.

Thanks for the guidance.

1 Like

Yes, I created some new modules for our educated such as fee plan, payment plan, scheduled payment, students, classes, subjects, marks, attendance … and it is working.
Good luck

1 Like

Now I am also trying to implement this now there are a lot of methods for this. Besides this, I have to combine the suite with other applications, and I don’t know if it will succeed. I’m interested in how you did it because it’s been several years, and I’m interested in your modifications.

1 Like