SuiteCRM 8.5 Bulk Action Export - Selecting all records - Unexpected Error when calling action error

Hi

Apologies for posting what I am sure is probably a simple config error but …

SuiteCRM 8.5
MariaDB 10.5.22
MySQL 8.1.26
PHP 8.1.26

This is now our prod system and running mostly fine apart from the IMAP error I posted yesterday. Today we have identified another error, which we hadn’t picked up during testing.

When trying to export Accounts or Contacts (also applies to other things as well such as Products with much lower volume) we select all records (circa 1900 Accts) use the bulk action and select export.

This generates the ‘Unexpected Error when calling action’ message. No entry in SuiteCRM log but may be a PHP one but on a shared platform we have no access to the PHP log.

Any help much appreciated as this will save us a heap of time handling bouncebacks, which we have to do externally at the moment, as our Bounceback service doesn’t work within SuiteCRM, I suspect due to the IMAP error posted previously.

Many thanks and sorry to be a pain with what I feel is proably a simple config change.

NB, we have significant limits set in PHP to 128M for file size and 768M for memory, which I think should be fine and worked in previous versions.

If we select say 150 Accts (more than 1 displayed page) using a filter for all Finance and all Insurance accounts and then do the select all and bulk export, it works fine. It is also fine if you manually select the records individually.

I seem to remember when we moved to v8 over a year ago, we had the same issue and changed something but didn’t document it back then.

Any help much appreciated.

Just a side-note, but you would have access to the messages that go into php_errors.log, inside suitecrm.log, by just turning on an option…

If this PR had been merged, instead of sitting there idle for 4 years now:

OK thank you. Worth knowing if we need to dig deeper.

Many thanks.

This 'Unexpected Error when calling action’ message is a generic one, it can actually correspond to a number of different underlying conditions. It’s the generic error that the back-end throws to the front-end, saying “I know something is wrong, but I am not telling you what it is”.

If you changed Symfony to dev mode the front-end would get a much more informative error message.

You might find details in the Symfony logs, in logs/prod/prod.log (or something similar, I might be misremembering).

Excellent thank you. I’ll take a look.

Weird that the export works fine in all ways except when all records are selected. We have done the bounce by exporting all contacts who are prospect type, using the filter, which is all except for partners and suppliers. So did the bulk changes and reimported.

However, we do need to find the issue and fix it.

Thank you.

If you can, provide commands to apply the “Improved logging” PR (10342) from the command line to 7.14.x and 8.x. Many users would apply it, test it, verify whether it be working well for them, and make good use of it!

What all changes I have to apply for v7.13? :thinking:

Could you please list down here? :melting_face:

@rsp Can you make a 7.13 test server?
Commands to try it would be something like this.

sudo apt -qqq update && sudo apt -y install wget git #Commands for Debian/Ubuntu based Linux.
sudo su suiteusername #the username account the suite 7.13 test app is running under.
cd /home/suiteusername/public_html  #base directory of suite 7.13 test.
wget https://github.com/salesagility/SuiteCRM/pull/10342.diff
git apply 10342.diff

Report back here if the above git apply works or fails.

If git apply works, I suggest, to go to Admin page, enable “Developer mode”. Then go to Admin / Repair / Quick Repair Rebuild.

Then, try out these new Logging + Rich Stack Traces features. Report back your results here.

Same bug in my SuiteCRM 8.5

I have the same bug in 8.5.
is there any solution?

Is there an Issue open on Github about this?

I’ll do one when I am back on line tomorrow, if no one else has done so in between.

1 Like

Done - issue now raised in GitHub. #442.

1 Like

Now a much more serious issue - having done the code update as suggested by another user on GitHub #442, this didn’t change anything for us - same problem.

However, putting everything back as it was, which was just one .php file, when we ran a Quick Repair and Rebuild, the system crashed with the same ‘Unexpected…’ error.

That totally killed the system as it had deleted the bulk of the cache/prod directory contents but the system just hung. Trying to log back in gave an HTTP 500 error.

We restored the cache directory from back-up, in order to allow us to log back in but the repair and rebuild issue persists and just crashes the system.

Never seen anything like this before.

System runs fine but we can’t run a repair and rebuild at all.

Any suggestions or help gratefully received as this looks bad and I am not sure where to look.

Did you upgrade to v8.5.1?

v8.5.1

No. Still on 8.5.0. I’ve opened a separate issue for this, as it runs deeper.