SuiteCRM 8.2 - Will there be ongoing support for the Legacy V8 REST API?

I’d like to know what the ongoing plan is for API support in SuiteCRM 8.x? I know there’s now technically 3 APIs. The old V4 one (I think), the V8 REST one, and the new GraphQL one.

I’m currently running a site using the V8 REST version. I’d like to upgrade to SuiteCRM 8.x but don’t know if the V8 API is now on the path to deprecation? Will SuiteCRM 8.x continue to fully support the V8 API for it’s lifetime? If fixes are needed can I still submit GitHub pull requests for the “legacy” API?

1 Like

I’m inclined to say “Yes”, because this is how open source works, Pull Requests for fixes are always appreciated. The November 2023 update to the Roadmap shows focus on the front end, not back end APIs:

My bet is that everything new will be in GraphQL, but that there won’t be too many reasons to deprecate the other older API’s anytime soon.

It is a known fact that there are a lot of integrations out there relying on those API’s. So I guess they will continue to exist, without evolving much, as long as people are willing to do the minimum work to keep them working - like all those minor fixes when new PHP versions break something.

I would just definitely not recommend anyone who is starting new developments now to use anything except the GraphQL API.

1 Like