Struggling with installation

Hi

Iā€™m having an issue with installation.

Iā€™ve downloaded SuiteCRM 8.4, unzipped it and put it in the root of my server. Set all the permissions but Iā€™m not getting the installation window in the browser. Iā€™m getting a list of the files in the directory instead.

I was having trouble on my Siteground server so I thought Iā€™d try it locally using MAMP but Iā€™m still no further forward.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

I posted this a while back. It might help you with installation, keep in mind Iā€™m still learning. Please let me know if its useful

Suitecrm8 is still beta, so I personally wouldnā€™t trust it in production.

Larry

Iā€™m sorry but where is an official statement that SuiteCRM 8 is still in development and shouldnā€™t be used in production?
If at 8.4.1 itā€™s still not in production, should we expect SuiteCRM v8 to be in production when v9 is out?

Iā€™ve installed SuiteCRM 8 without any sort of issues quite a number of times. The problem is not within SuiteCRM.

for the OP @Vickula did you add the virtual host .conf file and are you correctly pointing the DocumentRoot to the public folder?

Oh youā€™re seeing the files instead of executing. Do you have a
DirectoryIndex index.php index.html

Line on your VirtualHost?
What is the underlying OS by the way? and are you using Apache?

Thanks for the questions.

1. Beta releaseā€¦ A search for beta brings up a few hitsā€¦ eg. I hope I didnā€™t misunderstand the post.

(SuiteCRM 8.4 Beta Release).

1. I would be very interested if you would post your installation script for us to study. I would love to study/try your methods. I havenā€™t quite reached 1000 installations, and not all were successful. I have seen many different ways of installation depending on needs and there is a lot I donā€™t understand.

2. I donā€™t know when V8 will move from beta to production as I am just a user, and rely on official statements such as they areā€¦ I generally prefer V8 to V7, even if it is not fully finished.

3. Iā€™ve successfully used this script for MX Linux, Debian, Ubuntu and Linux Mint, some other odd linux flavors. I believe the developers prefer Ubuntu. So far I prefer Mint for ease of installation.

Larry

1 Like

The names of the releases go like thisā€¦

• SuiteCRM 8.4.0 Beta
  • SuiteCRM 8.4.0
  • SuiteCRM 8.4.1

Sometimes there is no Beta, they release 8.x.0 directly. They use the Beta to try and gather more community deployment testing, if there is something riskier in the release.

But the fact that the word ā€œbetaā€ was once seen next to the number 8.4 doesnā€™t mean that all 8.4ā€™s are Betaā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for clarificationā€¦ I guess I did misunderstandā€¦

1 Like

Hi @larry

Ok so #1 and #3 were answered by @pgr

About #2 I donā€™t use install scripts. I install manually. Which isnā€™t really difficult at all, just check what packages are required (all apps have requirements just check them out), download suitecrm, upload it to the folder, create a virtual host apache config, database and user, etc ā€¦ voila? Thatā€™s pretty much it donā€™t think Iā€™m missing any steps.

About #4 ā€¦ I only use EL distros. Red Hat Enterprise Linux (Specific apps), Alma Linux (Web Servers), Rocky Linux (General Purpose), Oracle Linux (Databases or Oracle Cloud Platform), Amazon Linux (on AWS and depending on the project).

I have a very firm opinion about community linux: use at your house, because unless youā€™re google and have a buttload of system engineers, enterprise linux has paid engineers that will find, fix and release quicker than any ā€œcommunity basedā€ project. Actually one could even argue what innovations has the Debian Community actually contributed to Linux, cause I canā€™t really remember ā€¦ only remember delaying adoption of new features, like initV was so good but in the end it all got ported to Systemd ā€¦ and so on and so onā€¦ itā€™s what the deb community does, ports. I rather take the original and bypass the port issues.
But this is a personal position, anyone use whatever they want, just that I wonā€™t be able to help in those sorts of distros.