So where is the SuiteCRM 8?

Yeah, be safe with stay at home, however any single update will help us to know about long roads, it is second quarter of the year!

Hi everyone

Kind of redundant with all the excitation around Suite v8, but I would reaaaally appreciate some kind of communication about what is going on: is there a major / minor problem? Will the release be delayed a few days / weeks / months ?
Personnaly I have to start new implementation projects, and I need to decide this week if I can wait for the brand new foxy SuiteCRM or if I have to implement with the actual LTS.

Really, any kind of communication about what is goind on !
Many thanks, and stay safe everyone

@thomas.perardelle.

At this point, I prefer to assume it will never be released and I use the current version to deliver solutions to my customers. You cannot wait until SalesAgility decides to let the community see a demo or the code to know the real progress of the project. Also we don’t know what the real intentions are behind the secrecy (NOT ACCUSING, just fearing the Sugar scenario is repeating itself)

@salesagility Thanks for all the good work and effort you put into this project, but remember, it was you guys the ones who announced the new version. We are just anxious to see what these new big release is going to bring.

Thanks,

BrozTechnologies

1 Like

I agree with @BrozTechnologies in that I would just go with the current LTS or latest current stable, depending on the case. Even if V8 previews were released this month it would still take a lot of time to mature to production-grade, let a lone all the 3rd party customizations if such would be used (I assume at least UI elements will need updating). So I think that even if @salesagility were able to release something soon it’ll be 2021 before V8 is ready for serious production.

Personally I think it’s better to do it properly the first time and not rush it out unfinished, so I’m not complaining, although I admit I would like to see the codebase’s current status even if it’s still in an unusable state.

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, I mostly agree, though I strongly believe the choice of v7 / v8 depends on the client context and the difficulty of upgrading a custom development. For some clients, if this is a new implementation, if there is a lot of custom in areas deeply changed in v8, the balance cost / quality could be in favor of the v8 + close monitoring of operations.

That is why we need to understand what is going on, not necessary play with the beta but just not being kept in the dark…

EDIT : to emphasize what you say @BrozTechnologies, this kind of omerta is often used by proprietary software editors…

1 Like

I agree and am myself a little worried about how hard the upgrading to v8 is going to be for customizations and addons in general. We have actuall decided to hold back further internal development until v8 is out unless absolutely necessary to avoid doing futile work now.

However I’d still think that waiting for v8 to come would be feasible only if client is very patient, since it is will be hard to predict any timeline. It might very well be another year before we have a production-ready new version with all the necessary customizations ready and/or updated. So unless clients are prepared to wait for an indeterminate (and possibly quite a long) time before implementation can begin, I’d go with current stable versions.

1 Like

Unfortunately our company switched to another open source and well developed CRM.
But it was a good journey with Suite.

Which one? OroCRM? Just curious as I tried (almost) all open source alternatives

We would appreciate it if people didn’t come here mentioning names of other CRM’s. I’m sure with you guys it’s an honest discussion, but we have tons of shameless spammers coming here just to promote their stuff and drop links, and it becomes hard to know which is which. So the best way is to keep all 3rd party references and links away from these discussions. You can use Private messaging if you want.

Thanks

1 Like

It need to click on this post which put the @pgr here :slight_smile: to go into it or on ^ in right corner of message :smiley:

I am talking from my experience because i didn’t know :frowning:

We have tested every crm and erp open source system in the last 14 months on the fly, i.e. in realtime operation as Java, Python or PHP solution and no system can compete with SuiterCRM. About us: We are an IT services company whose founders come from SuSE.

Our focus was on the CRM side. Only SuiteCRM is a real open source system. The others had a fraction of the features:

• No project management
  • Project management cannot be edited on the Gantt basis
  • Project management was a joke :slight_smile:
  • Calendars were partly not able to be shared in 2020 mind you
  • Calendars were available to the public :slight_smile:
  • Importability of e-mails not given
  • Usability catastrophic
  • Contacts not selectable when sending e-mails
  • Events were linked to a calendar. If the calendar entries were deleted, the events were gone.
  • Direct descriptions offers, invoices not editable
  • Records were lost or could not be found because the dependencies were not resolved correctly
  • Cron jobs didn’t work…
  • Forum life was non-existent or questions were ignored or over 40% of the questions were not answered.
  • Self paid support provided solutions for rudimentary questions sometimes only after days

and and and and…

As far as prices are concerned, some of the suppliers have probably taken too much of substances that are not exactly conducive to reality. Example: For a service technician we would have had to pay about 4,000 EUR per year and would have had to look very carefully at which module he gets. If we had booked all modules per employee, we would have had to pay about 8,000. Please calculate this up to 10,20,50 or 100 employees

Most of them were not “real” open source systems anyway, but freemiums. So we had a nice car and if we wanted to drive it was not possible because there are no tires, the rear view mirror is missing, the engine is inside, the gas tank is missing and if it rains we had bad luck because the roof of the convertible was not installed.

We wrote to the man and without mentioning the system we are willing to reveal the weaknesses of the system …

What we as a “real” Open Source Community must not forget are the small or big paid or unpaid trolls that are just waiting to harm this project, which we can only confirm from the history of Linux. With this I share the opinion of @pgr

Since we have only now entered the project, we are very much looking forward to the new open source version and will be very happy to get involved in the project. All the frameworks you have mentioned are ingenious and will be the foundation of the new project. The break with Sugar and its legacy was/is more than necessary. Away with the old pigtails - they say in Germany :slight_smile:

In this sense everybody stays healthy and best regards from Berlin

4 Likes

Just PMed it to you.

as promised an update on the crm of @acoolov … we know the crm for years and it has been a long journey.

yes it has a lot of functions but also a lot of sugar old code and even more code from the later fork it was created from … uses yii which is clean but lacks many applications and node.js … does not have its own mail client, uses roundcube, so there were always import problems with the mails, the project management is not editable in the gant… seems overloaded and overloaded … partly a lot of functions which are only rudimentary (quasi bookkeeping which is more like a paper economy) because it can’t decide yet if it wants to become a crm or maybe in many years an erp-system after all … the frontend is galaxies away from the headless crm … and therefore the system is blocked in many ways … like z. e.g. the kanban mode (which your not so big community has been waiting for for years) for the project management which can be easily implemented with angular or an “automated timetracker” for each process so that the project/campaign costs can be better managed … the current system could only be trimmed to good usability with a lot of effort … and … and … and … in addition, the total share of all previous installations worldwide was about 30.000 if i still have the numbers in my head … we were one of them :slight_smile: … not active user …

in that sense a beautiful day

trying top make sense out of your post. Are you writing on SuiteCRM or another CRM? … just wondering

He’s writing about the CRM we switched to that I PMed about.
SuiteCRM overall design and ease of use looks like a Noah’s ark compared to the one we switched to.
I am not very good with the technical side, just know how to install and optimize both CRMs to our needs.
SuiteCRM’s design is so so outdated.
If SuiteCRM 8 is changed to today’s standards, we will switch back in a matter of minutes, because of how good the support is for it and the reliability. But for now, no way.

we have tried the crm system mentioned above and it was really permanent. it was ailing in various places. the problem was that to sugar then the fork was added and then the own development, it has already become apparent that the slowly but surely also in the freemium camp switch on if you follow the discussions on github. they took everything that was there, threw it together, even the fork, shook and then looked that it does not fly around your ears :slight_smile:
that’s all i want to say at this point because everybody should have the possibility to make his own experiences. a small hint, yes suitecrm looks a bit uncool, but take a look at the dashboard and the single modules … if you can manage with 30 - 50 markers and most importantly, they are all really needed and in the form of modules you can easily do with the reports at suitecrm …

in this sense, we stop dealing with other crm systems at this point because we believe that we have an idea of what the new suitecrm has to offer in terms of technology based on the previous versions of @dale … we sit back now, wait for the changes, try to contribute to the gamechanger and look forward to the alpha …

fixing the current SugarCRM Core is a long process. Speaking out of my own experience our plan is to finalize this by end of this year whioch tehn was a 4 years project (5 if we include teh POC and other steps we did before Angular2 came to the table). And we did not even dare to touch the backend in a way that we would replace it with another framework like synphony. This was pure frontend work (indluing the fact that we utilized Lightning Design which is an out of the box design that helped a lot) with of course fixes of missing functionality and broken functionality.

I woudl assume the charter laid out for SuiteCRM 8 is all but an easy one. It will be interesting to see how the strategy of ripping out the backend and a coexistzence of the legaycy core SugarCRM and a new Symphony based framework will work and also deal with the extendability and customization capability.

Locking thi thread as the Q & A thread has been released with the aim to answer your questions in a centeralised thread :+1: