Problems with install

I’ll upload the video of what happens when I try to access https://crm.nordcybersecurity.com/ As I explained it simply routes me to SuiteCRM which shows a blank page.

Video of me accessing as you described:

This is the brower’s dev console screenshot of that page:

I’ll edit this with a post back of the suitecrm.log and the other error log you request as soon as I get them and open them.

The suitecrm.log is empty:

According to bluehost articles, the php errors are in the error_log file within the main directory, so here:

And there are no recent errors from the 16th or 17th (some of the dates I’ve been trying to get this working):

But I found another one within the crm.nordcybersecurity.com folder:

Wow, I almost hate to jump into this one, but maybe have something that can help. I’ve never installed with Softalicious, but recently setup a DEV environment with Installatron and encountered a simlar issue with the /public/ in the url. I adde this to the .htaccess file and it solved it for me…

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^$ /public/ [L,R=301]
Require all granted

I’ll try anything because all I have to do is add it and comment it out later if/when it doesn’t work.

But, which .htaccess file?

I have several.

One is under the /home4/gsjsupmy/public_html folder
One is under crm.nordcybersecurity.com folder
One is under the crm.nordcybersecurity.com/public folder

@JoyceNord the root of wherever you installed SuiteCRM. I’m not sure from your posts above TLDR. Hopefully it works for you. I know I had a problem with URL rewrites and that fixed it for me.

Installed into a subdomain crm.nordcybersecurity.com

So that would probably be this one:

One is under [crm.nordcybersecurity.com]

(http://crm.nordcybersecurity.com) folder

1. I believe this is the answer, creating an .htaccess file in the base directory of the suitecrm base install for your subdomain.
    Create /home4/gsjsupmy/crm.nordcybersecurity.com/.htaccess with the following contents:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^crm.nordcybersecurity.com$ [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.crm.nordcybersecurity.com$ 
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !public/
RewriteRule (.*) /public/$1 [L]

Referred from here:

EDIT: Please also do the following:

1. Check your subdomain’s DocumentRoot is set correctly to the proper Suite 8 document root (the public directory, one level below the subdomain base directory).
    a. Go to you web control panel, in your case CPanel.
    b. In the Domains section, click on Domains.
    c. Locate the subdomain you wish to modify, in your case crm.nordcybersecurity.com then click on the Manage button.
    d. Copy/Paste the document root under New Document Root: /home4/gsjsupmy/crm.nordcybersecurity.com/public
    e. Click Update.

The DocumentRoot should immediately reflect the update, and thus, your Suite CRM 8 web app should work.

If this fixes the issue, please click the “Solution” button.

Tried that this morning, and it is still forwarding me to the public directory

crm.nordcybersecurity.com isn’t under public_html

When I created the subdomain, it created it under
/home4/gsjsupmy/crm.nordcybersecurity.com

So how would I modify the above for this?

Here is what my document root was / is set to:

Note on the right-hand side, it shows it redirects to
http://crm.nordcybersecurity.com/public$1

Not sure what function the $1 accomplishes.

And the document root is /crm.nordcybersecurity.com

The actual location of crm.nordcybersecurity is:

/home4/gsjsupmy/crm.nordcybersecurity.com

Here is what my redirects are set to (without modification)

I deleted those two redirects to see what would happen and how they would interact with the .htaccess files, and when I use https://crm.nordcybersecurity.com, I still get forwarded to SuiteCRM and it still shows in the address bar, and I still get a blank page:

I then commented out all related modifications to .htaccess I have tried, and it still goes to the same place.

I decided this morning to try and setup SuiteCRM manually (without using the Softaculous installer).

In doing so, I needed to create a new subdomain.

In doing that, it seems I cannot share the document root of the main public_html. It won’t let me.

So I have to set it up as it’s own document root beneath the directory I install. So it will never pick up from the public_html directory under the main root. Hence, .htaccess files in every freaking directory, as well as redirects with the domain itsel, which I’m not going to mess with until I get this install at least partially done.

I’ll continue on pushing through and see how far I get.

@JoyceNord can I make a suggestion. Ditch Softalicious, delete all the files in the crm directory and start again. Follow my video posted above and install SuiteCRM the recommeded way.

Before you start, just to make sure everything isn’t all messed up with the changes (after you delete everything). Navigate to your crm dirctory and put an index.html file and just put in it “working” or something and then navigate to your url in the browser and make sure the index file gets loaded. If that works, your subdomain is working properly and you can begin the proper installation method.

I see you have access to cpanel and terminal so you should have no problems following the recommended instructions.

I don’t see a video posted from you above. I see one posted by Chris001; however your instructions in that video conflict with those contained in the Administrator Guide for Downloading & Installing on SuiteCRM’s website.

To be clear, I was trying to do a fresh install this morning using those manual instructions and after completing down to the “Performing a Typical Installation of SuiteCRM” of that manual, I was getting a blank page for the install, which at that time was located at http://crm2.nordcybersecurity.com/SuiteCRM/install.php.

I started with a blank directory.

I will try again. This is the start of that new effort:

The “blank directory” created by creating a subdomain (Note, in the upper left hand corner it shows crm3.nordcybersecurity.com:

index.html in that directory:

I then uploaded and extracted the files directly into the root of that folder:

As you can see here:

checked my Apache user:

Checked who appache is running as:

ps aux | egrep ‘(apache|httpd)’

So the apache server is running as gsjsupmy with 464 permissions…which we will soon change.

After making all the file permission changes, I type in

https://crm3.nordcybersecurity.com/install.php

And it get:

But if I put in https://crm3.nordcybersecurity.com/public/install.php

I can get to the checks install page:

And still has the same warnings on the install page:

When I click proceed, I’m forwarded to this blank page:

Maybe now I need to add a domain redirect?

Now add your .htaccess redirect an you /install.php should be available from the root of your subdomain.

What is the .htaccess redirect directive I should use, and which directory should it live in?

The two mentioned within this thread:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^$ /public/ [L,R=301]
Require all granted

and

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^crm.nordcybersecurity.com$ [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.crm.nordcybersecurity.com$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !public/
RewriteRule (.*) /public/$1 [L]

Did not work.

Please ask your host if mod_rewrite is enabled.

LOL. I contacted them this morning because the cpanel interface wouldn’t let me create a subdomain (it was locking up with an error which resolved itself later in the afternoon) and they told me to create an entirely new domain and start a fresh install of Wordpress.

I’m sure there is a way I could check this myself from CLI. I’ll get back to you on that one. EDIT: The way is to query the apache2handler.

#apachectl -M | grep rewrite did not work, permission denied

I do know have an option within the Cpanel to redirect:

I read on a forum post they were running Apache LiteSpeed on their server and had the same problem. I just copied that phpinfo.php into the main directory, and it, and started going through it because I’m also supposed to be able to see if mod_rewrite is enabled by doing do.

So far, I see nothing in the configure command section.

I so see “Virtual Directory Support” is disabled??? Doesn’t this whole thing run on that?

I also see I’m running Apache Litespeed.

You are more than welcome to pull it up at https://crm3.nordcybersecuritydotcom/phpinfo.php

Just now getting around to it:

So I contacted support and I think they’re full of S$$T

Regardless, I think I’m probably better off using the redirect options in the control panel.

Even better yet, my bluehost support, avoided providing me the survey, so I couldn’t rate the fact he didn’t know what he/she was talking about:

Redirects in control panel don’t work either.

The only way I can get to the install page is by entering

https://crm3.nordcybersecuritycom/public/install.php

When I click proceed I still get the blank page.

So, now based upon the fact that I have now spent more than 2 weeks trying to get something to work which should work by being extracted, file permissions changed, etc.,

I don’t see the return in this product for me.

Monday is up and ready to go (granted it’s not open source like I really wanted):

At the most, I would have to pay $28.00 per month vs hosted SuiteCRM @ $100

I perservere, I have tried, and I can no longer waste time trying to make a product work that doesn’t work in a shared hosted environment. And I’m certainly not going to pay or another hosting platform which cost more time and energy than one I can simply pay for and have no worries.

Whoever is putting out these install packages needs to get it together. We should be able to unzip and go.

I can appreciate you’re frustrated, but please consider there have been three or four people here trying to help you out of the goodness of their heart. SuiteCRM is free and open source and supported by a community of good people like the ones that tried to help you.

It’s very unusual mod_rewrite isn’t available in your shared hosting. You can get a VPS and set it up however you want (or choose alternate hosting), for what you’re paying for shared hosting. This is really an issue with your hosting provider and not a SuiteCRM issue.

1 Like

I thank each and every one of you who have assisted me.

I cannot justify a VPS for one product. If I did VPS, I would need to move my main WordPress site over, as well as Moodle (Learning Management System). Additionally, for the cost of the VPS, I could simply pay for an already hosted version of whatever CRM I decide upon and not have to worry about updates, what breaks, maintenance, etc. Plus all the time it would take to make the move to a VPS. I don’t see the rationale in doing so.

I used to use SugarCRM Community Edition. Had it set up on my shared hosting server long ago. It worked great. I could even import my text messages, emails, etc., so when clients wanted to know where their time was spent, I could just do a dump and they could see or they could log in and look at what was being done behind the scenes.

I agree that it is strange that mod_rewrite isn’t available. But, according to what I have found on the internet, if it were enabled, phpinfo.php would have shown it as a module, and it did not. Perhaps that answers the question of why each time I made changes to the .htaccess files, they never worked.
The initial .htaccess file contained a line that began <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>. Apparently that is used to check for mod_rewrite.With this check, the directives fail silently masking the underlying cause. Without this wrapper the site will break with an easily identifiabable.

However, in researching what this actually does, it just shortens the forward facing URL so the user doesn’t get to see where the file is actually at.

If that is the case, I can deal with seeing the full URL.

And it shouldn’t prevent the install from running entirely.

I have not modified the .htaccess in the new install. The autogenerated .htaccess residing a tnordcybersecurity.com/.htaccess has this in it:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^crm3.nordcybersecurity.com$
RewriteRule ^./?(.*)$ “https://crm3.nordcybersecurity.com/public$1” [R=301,L]

According to apache.org, to get mod_rewwrite specific log messages, I can:

tail -f error_log|fgrep ‘[rewrite:’

So I ran that at terminal, and it’s been processing for about 5 minutes.

If there are no logs, that should verify mod_rewrite is not enabled.

Why can’t I just use the redirects option from CPanel?

“The Redirects interface allows you to send all of the visitors of a domain or particular page to a different URL. For example, if you create a page with a long URL, use the Redirects interface to add a redirect from a short URL to the long URL. Visitors can enter the short URL to access the content of the long URL”

It seems they both have the same functionality, and it seems both rely upon mod_rewrite. So why would this option be available in my cpanel if mod_rewrite was not enabled?

" When you add a redirect with cPanel interface, the system places redirect rules at the bottom of the .htaccess file."

.htaccess is processed from the top down.

You can try but without mod_rewrite, I don’t think it’s going to work for you properly. When SuiteCRM goes to look for …your domain.com/....../file.php it will never find it because it will be at your domain.com/public/...../file.php.

If that’s the case, then I’m wondering why in the .htacess file under the the public directory of the Suite CRM install contains the following comments:

What does SuiteCRM consider the “front controller?”

I’m also wondering if uncommenting this line would help:

Within Cpanel redirects, I created a redirect to “https://crm3.nordcybersecuritydotcom/public/” which contains the index.php, the install.php and all the contents to launch the install.

Then added DirectoryIndex index.php to .htacces file in the .htaccess file right in crm3.nordcybersecurity.com directory, and left all the rewrites as initially configured:

So now if I enter http://crm3.nordcybersecurity.com/install.php, it takes me to the install page. I note this, because before I had to specify http://crm3.nordcybersecurity.com/**public/**install.php

Now it just goes where it’s supposed to land:

But clicking on proceed gives me a blank page still.

However, when I click proceed