Print PDF Tables as Line Items no longer working in 7.12 and 8.1

We use WYSIWYG fields in our Products.
If you have a table in that WYSIWYG field, it no longer prints columns correctly.
If your table is:
A B
C D
It will print the A and B on top of each other, and then next line/row has the C overwritten by the D.
It works correctly in 7.11, but 7.12 and 8.1 has this odd behavior.
A table directly inserted into the PDF template will print correctly, but if the table is in a Line Item, then it does not work.

I guess this was caused by the switch from mPDF to Tcpdf.
Iā€™m happy to pay someone who can helpā€¦ How do we create bug bounties? $200 to whoever can help me!

I guess I should provide more information.
Here is my Product (Specification is a WYSIWYG field):

But when the Quote is printed with TCPDF, I get:

This is preventing us from upgrading.
I am willing to pay to have this bug fixed and then donate the fix back to SuiteCRM.
Can someone quote me a fix?

And how exactly does the WYSIWYG field rendering a PDF template in the first place? How can I set that up here, in a similar way to what you have?

Sorry, I guess I did not include all the info.
I create a PDF Template:

Then create a quote with the item:

Now ā€œPrint as PDFā€ generates the PDF Quote.

Thatā€™s still not telling my how the field does itā€™s magic. I never heard of a field outputting PDF content, thereā€™s probably something there (custom code? An add-on) doing that, no?

Hi PGR, thanks for your time and effort to understand. Iā€™m still surprised this is not a common problem.

The field does not output PDF. The quote outputs PDF when you select ā€œPrint to PDFā€ from the drop-down.

The Product field (Specifications = $aos_products_specs_c) is a standard WYSIWYG field we added in which Iā€™ve entered a simple table. This Product (with the specifications field in it) is then included in a standard quote. Then ā€œPrint to PDFā€ the quote.

This worked fine with mPDF, but not with TCPDF.
Iā€™ve looked at the TCPDF documentation and it looks like it should handle tables fine.
So I think there was a change in the way line items are sent to TCPDF vs the way they are sent to mPDF.

Note: I mention ā€˜line itemsā€™. If you insert a table directly into the Quote template, it works. But when the table comes from a product (via line items) it works in mPDF but not in TCPDF.

Ok, I understand now. I was looking at your description and thinking of something else, sorry.

I canā€™t find time to work on this, unfortunately. Maybe someone else wants to take the offer a few posts above?

Iā€™ve tested this and it works:

Go to admin, PDF Settings and change it back to legacy. Tables in a WYSIWYG field render properly.

(You are right, the donā€™t render properly with the new engine)

This is what is actually output, it looks correct, and given that it works with legacy, I donā€™t think itā€™s an output or a parsing thing:

[aos_quotes_test_wysiwyg_c] => <table style="border-collapse:collapse;width:100%;" border="1">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td style="width:23.558%;">Title1</td>
<td style="width:23.558%;">Title2</td>
<td style="width:23.558%;">Title3</td>
<td style="width:23.558%;">Title4</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td style="width:23.558%;">test</td>
</tr>
<tr>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

I suspect the problem might be here. The is some discussion online about UTF-8 formatting and if itā€™s not formatted in UTF-8 properly, it breaks the table. However, this looks like it gets formatted as UTF-8.

elseif ($field_def['type'] == 'wysiwyg') {
                    $repl_arr[$key . "_" . $field_def['name']] = html_entity_decode($focus->$field_def['name'],
                        ENT_COMPAT, 'UTF-8');
                    $repl_arr[$key . "_" . $fieldName] = html_entity_decode($focus->{$fieldName},
                        ENT_COMPAT, 'UTF-8');

\modules\AOS_PDF_Templates\templateParser.php

Hello @pstevens, Thanks for your help!

Unfortunately, I have a fresh install, so legacy ā€œmPDFā€ is not an option.

When I change those two lines in \templateParser.php to an ISO encoding (or just replace ā€˜UTF-8ā€™ with junk), nothing changesā€¦ (after a reboot/repair). Maybe this parameter is not getting passed correctly?

Also, if I edit my PDF template to:

The output is:

And if I add the WYSIWYG field to the description field in SuiteCRM Sample Quote, again the ā€œabā€ and ā€œ12ā€ are overwrite each other.

So tables are processed correctly from the template. The problem is how the template is importing the ā€œLine Itemsā€ data??? But again, it works in mPDF, but not TCPDF.

FYI: I just launched a new 8.3.0 and it does the same.

Wonder what would happen if you you installed the legacy MPDF?
Wondering if you can just install the folder? Iā€™ve got the latest version and still have access to the MPDF.

I tried encoding the value of the wysiwyg field to UTF-8 before it passed through the parser. That didnā€™t help either. Think this is a bug with TCPDF and not a suitecrm issue. I see there are a few bug reports for similar type problems on Github for TCPDF in the TCPDF repository.

OK, Iā€™m up to a $400 reward to anyone who fixes this problem.

Summary:

1. mPDF works, Tcpdf does not.
  2. Tables in a PDF template are OK. Tables in a product line-item are not.

pstevens: given item 2 above, I still think it is a SuiteCRM problem rather than a Tcpdf problemā€¦

(Note: still an issue in version 7.14.2)

I am tempted, not just by your reward, but also by my curiosity. Iā€™m still busy but I have some hope of fixing this relatively quickly. :crossed_fingers:

But before committing to this I would need to make sure I can reproduce it here in my dev environment. Iā€™m running 8.4.1.

Can you please give me a complete list of steps to re-create on a clean system. I mean everything, from the creation of Quotes, fields, templates, etc. I would love to have this very detailed, as in ā€œclick hereā€, ā€œgo thereā€, ā€œpaste thisā€, etc. I want to have a case that is exactly like the one youā€™re using in your tests there.

Hey
So if you donā€™t have any new lines in your WYSIWYG field you will not have formatting issue
e.g

<table style="border-collapse:collapse;width:100%;" border="1">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td style="width:23.558%;">Title1</td>
</tr>
<tr>
</tr>
<tr>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

the above will cause formatting issue
But the same without new lines

<table style="border-collapse:collapse;width:100%;" border="1"><tbody><tr><td style="width:23.558%;">Title1</td><td style="width:23.558%;">Title2</td><td style="width:23.558%;">Title3</td><td style="width:23.558%;">Title4</td></tr><tr><td style="width:23.558%;">test</td><td style="width:23.558%;">test</td><td style="width:23.558%;">test</td><td style="width:23.558%;">test</td></tr><tr><td style="width:23.558%;">test</td><td style="width:23.558%;">test</td><td style="width:23.558%;">test</td><td style="width:23.558%;">test</td></tr></tbody></table>

will not give you formatting issues

Now that the issue is identified the fix

1. donā€™t add new lines WYSIWYG
  2. Add a before save logic hook that replaces new lines with a space in the WYSIWYG field
  3. Have a look at the modules/AOS_PDF_Templates/generatePdf.php line 138
    replace
$printable = str_replace("\n", "<br />", (string) $converted);

with

$printable = $converted;

But this might have wider consequences

My suggestion is 2nd option

After fixing

The logic hook will look like
custom/Extension/modules/AOS_Products/Ext/Logichooks/cleanWYSIWYG.php

<?php
$hook_array['before_save'][] = Array(1, 'Clean WYSIWYG', 'custom/modules/AOS_Products/cleanWYSIWYG.php','cleanWYSIWYG', 'do_clean');

custom/modules/AOS_Products/cleanWYSIWYG.php

<?php

class cleanWYSIWYG
{

public function do_clean($bean){
        $bean->specs_c=str_replace("\r\n",' ',$bean->specs_c);
    }
}
1 Like

Fantastic! Thanks Abuzar! I owe you $400 - let me know the best way to send. (Also Iā€™d like to send a donation to @pgr and @pstevens for you help in this and all the other threads - again, let me know the best way).

So the problem is almost solved.

1. What is the best way to ā€˜fixā€™ this natively in future versions. This work-around to remove the new-lines works, but itā€™s not really ā€˜fixingā€™ the problemā€¦ perhaps thatā€™s easy for someone now that we know the cause?
  2. The logic hook is not working correctly for me. It removes some of the new-lines, but not all. In your example @abuzarfaris, the database now shows:
<table style="border-collapse:collapse;width:100%;" border="1"><tbody><tr><td style="width:23.558%;">Title1</td>
</tr><tr><td style="width:23.558%;">test</td>
</tr><tr><td style="width:23.558%;">test</td>
</tr></tbody></table>
1 Like

Hey @acatt
You can modify the logichook to

<?php

class cleanWYSIWYG
{

public function do_clean($bean){
        $bean->specs_c=str_replace("\r\n",' ',$bean->specs_c);
    }
}

And it will remove all the new lines

1. To fix the issue completely we will have to evaluate the usage of
 $printable = str_replace("\n", "<br />", (string) $converted);

probably instead of the entire document it should be applied to each fieldā€™s value before their placeholder is replaced and not applied in the case of a WYSIWYG field

Since you ask :blush:

On the right-hand column, you just need to select either a one-time contribution (and your chosen amount) or a regular monthly sponsorship.

Thanks, I appreciate it.