PHP8 Compability

Good afternoon y’all,

I don’t come here to the forums often but right now I feel like I need some insight from this community.

We have used SugarCRM in the past a few years back, I believe it was still version 6. In the meanwhile been using other solutions but for another project I’m taking a look back at this.

Now I seem to grasp the dfferences from Sugar to Suite, ok with it, moving forward to test the software.

AlmaLinux 9.2
Apache 2.4
PHP 8.0 (remi)

After install I looked around a bit like Administration options. Right here I got a red flag
Administration > Case Module Settings (AOPAdmin)

Under
Email Settings
no templates were selected. I selected some templates and hit save. I get a blank screen and this on the logs:

[05-Jun-2023 14:43:29 Europe/Lisbon] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught TypeError: array_combine(): Argument #1 ($keys) must be of type array, null given in /var/www/sites/s21uit9/public_html/sales/public/legacy/modules/Administration/AOPAdmin.php:129
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/sites/s21uit9/public_html/sales/public/legacy/modules/Administration/AOPAdmin.php(129): array_combine()
#1 /var/www/sites/s21uit9/public_html/sales/public/legacy/include/MVC/View/SugarView.php(799): include_once('...')
#2 /var/www/sites/s21uit9/public_html/sales/public/legacy/include/MVC/View/views/view.classic.php(72): SugarView->includeClassicFile()
#3 /var/www/sites/s21uit9/public_html/sales/public/legacy/include/MVC/View/SugarView.php(210): ViewClassic->display()
#4 /var/www/sites/s21uit9/public_html/sales/public/legacy/include/MVC/Controller/SugarController.php(432): SugarView->process()
#5 /var/www/sites/s21uit9/public_html/sales/public/legacy/include/MVC/Controller/SugarController.php(363): SugarController->processView()
#6 /var/www/sites/s21uit9/public_html/sales/public/legacy/include/MVC/SugarApplication.php(101): SugarController->execute()
#7 /var/www/sites/s21uit9/public_html/sales/public/legacy/index.php(52): SugarApplication->execute()
#8 {main}
  thrown in /var/www/sites/s21uit9/public_html/sales/public/legacy/modules/Administration/AOPAdmin.php on line 129

However, looking at the Compability Matrix it states the compability for PHP 8.0.

Unfortunately it seems to me this software like so many others were “tested” on PHP8 to see if it would run or would just brake, it didn’t brake but definitely it is not compatible with PHP8. As the above error demonstrates.

Naturally switching to PHP7.4 and saving there is no error, because this application is compatible with PHP7.4 alone.

Now my questions for the community are:

1. How can a user trust on a company that does this? (announcing sw compability when there is not?)
  2. How long does the company behind SuiteCRM take to solve reported issues?
  3. Is the developers involvement satisfactory?

Because I first came here (to the forums) about an issue with Amazon SES and SMTP, and the support we observed was miserable (or in other words non-existent) as it is an ongoing issue that apparently had zero effort for bringing a fix?

I would appreciate the feedback of other users, specially those using this solution for long, do you recommend the overall experience to others?

Thank you.

It is a bit of work and some patches while PHP updates are added (see June release notes). I had a lot of problems but am now working V8.3 with PHP 8.0 and Apache 2.4 on Ubuntu 20.04LTS on a test server. There were some permissions to adjust, some patches @pgr made that are not yet in SuiteCRM but it is working for me. I also added phpmyadmin so I can take regular backups of the data and daily backups of the server so I can restore.

My recommendation is to get a fresh 8.3 working before using your previous data or trying to update. Watch all your permissions and owners, track your logs for errors and fatals, look for the solutions here and that will get you on the way. Or, wait for the next versions and see what the reports are. Good luck.

1 Like