Need help setting up DB settings

I am a little bit confused as to what I need to enter into the setup wizard as far as the database goes. Do I need to create a DB on the backend, then add those credentials into the fields for the install wizard? Or do I need to use my SQL root credentials?

Thu Nov 9 01:49:09 2017 [11341][-none-][FATAL] Could not connect to DB server my.domain.com as USERX. port : Connection refused
Thu Nov 9 01:49:30 2017 [11352][-none-][FATAL] Could not connect to DB server my.domain.com as root. port : Connection refused
Thu Nov 9 01:51:06 2017 [11342][-none-][FATAL] Could not connect to DB server localhost as root. port : Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’
Thu Nov 9 01:51:51 2017 [11343][-none-][FATAL] Could not connect to DB server localhost as root. port : Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’
Thu Nov 9 01:52:11 2017 [11345][-none-][FATAL] Query Failed: CREATE DATABASE suitecrmdb CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci: MySQL error 1044: Access denied for user ‘USERX’@$
Thu Nov 9 01:52:11 2017 [11345][-none-][FATAL] Could not connect to DB server localhost as USERX. port : Access denied for user ‘USERX’@‘localhost’ to database ‘suitecrmdb’

You do not need to create a database, as SuiteCRM will create a database on install. You will however need to ensure that the user you are trying to authenticate with has access to create a database, create tables, select, update, delete, etc.

It appears that user ‘USERX’ does not have access or that you are providing incorrect database credentials when trying as ‘root’.

The root credentials are correct. I tested repeatedly by signing into the server with those credentials and I was able to create databases.

Is there maybe something on the backend that would prevent SuiteCRM from making a database?

So, I spun up another Linode VPS (Ubuntu 16.04). The issue persists on a completely vanilla VPS…