Looking for methodology to install SuiteCRM and use SugarCRM database

I tried to post this the other day but it never made it to the board so I’ll try again.

Long time user of SugarCRM CE. Am running latest edition of it. I want to give SuiteCRM a look-see by using a copy of my Sugar database.

I can dump the database and create a new one. Easy.

I know how to install Suite as it is same as Sugar… but I obviously don’t want a new database created. As I remember with Sugar there is no way to install it without creating a new database. Same with Suite? So do I create the new one and then import my sqldump file? What about duplicate admin records (primary keys.)

Where is the so-called ‘migration’ path talked about on this board on how to go from Sugar to Suite? How do I get Suite running with a copy of my production Sugar database? I can’t believe you folks don’t have this on a FAQ or in the docs (which see you took right from Sugar since the word “sugar” is found several times.)

Thanks.

Upgrade instructions and prerequisites are listed clearly in the documentation. It explains you need to download the upgrade from the SuiteCRM download page and then upload it via the Upgrade wizard.

Oh, I didn’t know you could upgrade from Sugar to Suite via the upgrade wizzard. That’s nice, but not what I want. I want a nice clean install of SuiteCRM BUT I want to use a copy of my Sugar (CE) production database. I will run both systems to see if I want to make the switch.

Your download page shows “upgrades” from Suite to Suite. Nowhere does it mention anything about Sugar. Maybe it is the SuiteCRM Upgrade 6.5 to 7.0.2? At least that world correspond to the ‘6.5’ of Sugar.

You folks really need to flesh out the process on what people with SugarCRM do to move to Suite because it is confusing. Or maybe I’m just overthinking it, having spent 30 years as a software engineer who still writes code for a living.

And, again, there are not docs that I can find that spell out how to run a new Suite with an ‘old’ Sugar database.

One of the things I always hated about Sugar was that their install system always created a new database… it was a major issue to create a new install but use a current database (of same version.) And that’s what I want to do here. I don’t want to dare upgrade my working Sugar 6.5 system to SuiteCRM. I want to compare the systems, see how stable Suite is, etc. I might even blog on it as well.

So how do I do what I want to do? Or can I?