Is there a setting to make retired contacts "inactive"?

I’ve done google, read docs and searched the forum but couldn’t find an answer so I’m asking here.

I have contacts that will or have retired. So I’d like to make them “inactive” but keep the history just in case I want to look at it in the future. If I have an “inactive” option then I can use that to leave inactive contacts off follow-up lists etc.

I checked the Studio to see if there was a field for active/inactive but didn’t find anything in the contacts module. I’d rather not customize if at all possible.

I’m assuming that contacts can be made “inactive”? If yes, then how?

If no, what do others do short of deleting the retired contact?

We’re on 7.12.x

Thank you.

This has been on my wishlist for a while too! I created a field “inactive” and just added it to my views. There really should be some better way of tracking who is left the company, dead, retired. I don’t want to just delete them as they might have all kinds of history attached but I definitely don’t want to send them emails or have them end up on a call list.

Thanks for your quick reply @pstevens .

If there are two who looked for this, there will be another dozen + who searched and gave up.

Is there somewhere to add feature requests @pgr?

The project is not moving at a rhythm where it would be worth having a feature request list. :man_shrugging:

Apart from a special field, you can work around the absence of this feature with Security Groups to make these contacts invisible, and with email opt outs to keep emails from getting sent to them.

You can also use the deleted field in the database, if you don’t have the “purge” scheduled job turned on. This would leave them on the database indefinitely. Then you could try to have some facilitated way of searching these contacts if necessary, and undeleting them. Perhaps directly in the database?

Thanks @pgr .

The project is not moving at a rhythm where it would be worth having a feature request list.

That is unfortunate.

Given that the marketing says that " SuiteCRM [is] the world’s number 1 Open Source CRM", you’d expect something like a feature request list, even if it were ignored. :smile: At least it would make us feel like we’re participating to make the product better over time.

I guess I’ll follow @pstevens suggestion and add a field. I really am loath to add any customization since I tell everyone who’ll listen that this is how you make software maintenance and upgrading problematic. :frowning_face:

Thanks both of your for your quick replies.

You can throw your suggestion on top of the 1.3k pile of Issues on Github :slight_smile:

What I really hope for is for more people to put money into SuiteCRM instead of just waiting for SalesAgility to put all of it.

I personally would be working for SuiteCRM in the past two years if there had been minimal adherence to the sponsorship I tried to launch. If all the companies that are leeching SuiteCRM would give even ridiculously small amounts of money to the project, things would be quite different.

@nuke , using Studio to add fields and customizations is not at all problematic. SuiteCRM is designed to do such things. I’ve never had a problem with upgrades that had to do with customizations done through Studio.

If you do code customizations outside of Studio, then yes, you have to be careful about logging your changes somewhere and reviewing when upgrades are done. However, these kinds of changes done in an upgrade safe way in the /custom folder rarely cause problems either. Just my 2 cents as a user and one who helps others implement SuiteCRM.

Hey @pgr I’d love if SalesAgility had some sort of partnership program where they charged a member fee and possibly some benefits like sales leads, or technical updates or something, or have a list of consultants and developers on their website (I get they do that too, but maybe someone like me Canada can better server clients in Toronto, etc.) Obviously they have to generate $$$ on this to support the program and also to support further development. I’m sure there are lots of people like me around the World who do a lot of small SuiteCRM installs and consulting who want to contribute but also as a small business need to see ROI, as I’m sure SalesAgility does. Not a complete thought, but maybe a direction for further consideration. I think there’s some kind of win/win there in that idea.

They have a partner program basically like you describe, with 3 levels of cost vs perks, Professional, Reseller, Standard.

Hey @pgr I’ve inquired about that a couple of times without any response.

Thanks folks.

quote @pgr

You can throw your suggestion on top of the 1.3k pile of Issues on Github

:rofl:

I looked and there isn’t a tag to differentiate “bug” from “feature request”. Is there a suggested tag for something like this?

Thanks @pstevens . I’ll give it a try. I don’t think I’ve done something like that for 4-5 years so a bit rusty. :slight_smile:

There is a label called “Type:Suggestion”

“224 open issues”…

1 Like

Thanks @pgr ! I appreciate the suggestion!