Installing 8.7 on Shared Hosting

I am a little stumped with 2 issues during the pre-checks.

1. Memory limit check fails. It reports 128M but I have it set to 256M. That didn’t work, I changed to 384M. Still fails. I’m not sure where the pre-check is pulling the memory limit number from.

2. cURL calls – both cURL calls failed and it used http://(site). HTTPS is enforced so the cURL call should be using the https. How to get around this?

Thanks.

There may be a shared hosting limit of 128M no matter what you set. Check with your hosting provider.

Do a php info in a php file and confirm both memory limit and that you have curl enabled.

Make sure you restart your webhost or PHP.

systemctl restart php8.2-fpm

sudo systemctl restart apache2

To get around the issue of cURL calls failing when HTTPS is enforced, you can use the -k or –insecure option to disable SSL certificate verification. This allows cURL to perform SSL connections and transfers without checking the authenticity of the SSL certificate.

You might want to use this option if you’re working with an older system or using an older API that has a no longer valid SSL certificate.

Please note I’m running this on a shared hosting provider. That’s why I said “shared hosting” in the subject. I may not have much control on restarting services on a shared hosting server.

That’s what I’m thinking. I’ll check and get back to this thread.

Before you waste more time, I would not advise that you try to set up your SuiteCRM system on a shared hosting with limited access. For me, having console access (SSH) to SuiteCRM would be unnegotiable.

SuiteCRM is not a simple app like any other, it’s big, it’s highly configurable, it writes itself (so it needs permissions most other apps don’t) and you will be really lost if you don’t have easy access to your logs and files for troubleshooting.

So make sure you pick a hosting that has sufficient “room” for you to work properly with SuiteCRM…

Thank you for that suggestion, but I’m sorry that is not an option in my case. I feel that you made an assumption that I run a business with paid staff. I’m non profit organization, all volunteer. The non profits I volunteer for are paying for the hosting services and they are small organizations. We’re not like American Red Cross or some bigger non profit with deeper pocket and staff.

I was able to get at the logs and use SSH to fix the files and folder permissions with no issues. The non profits can not afford the hardware and staff resources to host their own servers. VPS is too expensive for these organizations, too. CiviCRM (much bigger than SuiteCRM) would have worked just fine with 128M but it needed the MySQL Trigger and Functions features which are turned off as a security policy on shared hosted servers so it wouldn’t work,

Again, thank you for your time to suggest not using a shared hosting provider but I would caution on making assumptions.

I am not making assumptions and I often work with small non-profits who basically have no money to spend.

I wasn’t saying you can’t use shared hosting or that you must use a VPN or an expensive server. I am saying to choose wisely and make an effort to find a cheap server that doesn’t unnecessarily limit you. A limitation such as not having console access is more of a killer for SuiteCRM than something like performance limitations.

Try adding to your .htaccess file:

php_value memory_limit 256M

This might work or not.
Many other configuration values ​​can also be changed in this way unless the server administrator has restricted this ability.

Place info.php file in your public directory:

<?php
phpinfo();

open it in your browser and check what php reports (remember to delete this file after that)

@J.Powell VPS is not expensive. Here’s just one example, I found in less than 30 seconds, but there are many. $6.99 per month would be more than suitable.

I think you could even get away with the $5.99/month plan.

While I have installed SuiteCRM on shared hosting, there are always issues either with permissions or server settings or caps put on memory or I/O that causes issues. A VPS really is the best solution for self hosting.

Also AWS offers a free tier that can install linux and then SuiteCRM on for free: (It’s a little more complicated to setup):

AWS has a free tier that can run SuiteCRM? Please tell me more about that, have you tried it?

Which server type do you pick, specifically? What are the limits?

I haven’t tried it yet personally, but it’s on my list of things to do. The video tutorial shows how you can install cpanel and WHM (which I use all th time) on your free server. I can’t see why it wouldn’t run SuiteCRM. It’s obviously not going to be super fast with 1 process and 1G of memory including the operating system, but it should run.

1 Like

If you create new account on the AWS, then you get free-tier for a year. After that they will charge you according to your number of requests or usage.

@rsp yeah, but it can’t be much for just a couple of users accessing SuiteCRM a couple of times a day.

Or you could just spin up another free tier VPS and move over every year and have free forever!