Installation Challenge!

Got a bit of an odd situation, looking for some input on. I have a client with SuiteCRM 7.11.20 installed on Azure with PHP 7.4. Azure won’t let them create new environments with less than PHP 8.1

So upgrading/testing is a challenge. Well maybe not for the production environment but we can’t update the DEV because it’s running on PHP 8.1 and the upgrade doesn’t work.

I’ve got a couple of ideas:

1. Move the install to my server do, the upgrade on 7.4, change to 8.1 and move back.
  2. Just copy the latest version (of 7) over the 7.11.20 version and run a quick repair and rebuild.

I’m kind of leaning towards #2 as the easiest. I’m thinking that should work and all the vardefs etc. will be sync’d with the Database.

(of course I’m doing this in DEV)… Anyone have an input on things I should watch out for, or why this approach is bad? Or even a better idea?

(I won’t overwrite the config files).

I think your number 2 can go wrong in several ways.

Don’t they let you clone your current server with 7.4? So you could then run the upgrade on that clone.

1 Like

I’d make multiple full backups of server code files + configs + database. Then, try Option 1. Then, fully test this. If it passes all tests, then copy it to an Azure linux server with PHP 8.1, and test it again, making sure it passes all tests.

1 Like

Do we have lots of PHP changes in 8.x version, if we moved from PHP 7.4?

Thanks guys, I did try option #2. It kinda worked, was able to get it up and running. However, getting a bunch of Ajax errors in the modules though. Makes me think you’re right #2 is not the way to go. I’m going to try option #1 next.

The PHP.net manual on migration to PHP 8.0 lists all backward incompatible changes between PHP 7.4 to PHP 8.0. Without adapting the application code to all of these major changes in PHP 8.0+, the application can crash / white screen, etc.