Inbound Email Errors with Exchange IMAP

Version 7.11.12
Sugar Version 6.5.25 (Build 344)

Outbound email works fine with Exchange SMTP, but the IMAP on inbound is failing. I keep getting the following error emailed to me by cron every minute.

PHP Notice: Unknown: Kerberos error: No Kerberos credentials available (default cache: KEYRING:persistent:10002) (try running kinit) for [199.193.205.202] (errflg=1) in Unknown on line 0

PHP Notice: Unknown: [BADCHARSET (US-ASCII)] The specified charset is not supported. (errflg=2) in Unknown on line 0

I’ve created and tested the account in a client and it works fine. SuiteCRM isn’t choosing the right authentication method for Exchange. Any ideas on fixing this?

Are you the same person that posted this Issue?

Just to keep track of things :+1:

Yup! I’ll change my UID to match for future clarity!

1 Like

After wasting hours on this bug I’ve come to the conclusion what the problem is and proper resolution.

1. PHP-IMAP + MS Exchange = Connection issues.

Solution 1 - Recompile PHP-IMAP without Kerberos support. Difficult and might break other apps on the server.

Solution 2 - Need a way to modify the IMAP authentication / checking code in InboundMail.php to force PLAIN authentication on MS Exchange servers and ignore GSSAPI if advertised.

I want CRON emails to know if something is not functioning, but if I turn this on I get an email every minute when mail is checked.

I tried reading through the PHP to find the code that reports the error and comment it out, but I wasn’t able to figure it out.

I’d highly recommend making sure that email works flawless with Google, MS Exchange, and Standard Linux Mail Servers. That would cover 99% of the world.

I found a solution just before giving up. I know this isn’t right, but it worked, the constant CRON emails stopped on every check, Inbound Mail check works.

Changed this:

protected function getImapConnection($mailbox, $username, $password, $options = 0)
{
    $connection = null;
    $authenticators = ['', 'GSSAPI', 'NTLM'];

while (!$connection && ($authenticator = array_shift($authenticators)) !== null) {
        if ($authenticator) {
            $params = [
                'DISABLE_AUTHENTICATOR' => $authenticator,
            ];
        } else {
            $params = [];
        }

$connection = $this->getImap()->open($mailbox, $username, $password, $options, 0, $params);
    }

return $connection;
}

To this:

protected function getImapConnection($mailbox, $username, $password, $options = 0)
{
    $connection = null;
    $authenticators = ['', 'GSSAPI', 'NTLM'];

while (!$connection && ($authenticator = array_shift($authenticators)) !== null) {
        if ($authenticator) {
            $params = [
                'DISABLE_AUTHENTICATOR' => 'GSSAPI', 'NTLM',
            ];
        } else {
            $params = ['DISABLE_AUTHENTICATOR' => 'GSSAPI', 'NTLM'];
        }

$connection = $this->getImap()->open($mailbox, $username, $password, $options, 0, $params);
    }

return $connection;
}

I am glad you got it working.

This information could be useful, can you post it as a comment on the github issue?

It isn’t a proper solution, but it might help to achieve one. Thanks

Sure, no problem. I have posted it to GitHub. Thanks!

1 Like