How to disable rich text WYSIWYG editor on case description?

Our use case has no need for rich text or a WYSIWYG editor for the description field in cases. How do we stop it from showing up there?

Hello,
Copy modules/Cases/views/view.edit.php and put it to the custom directory at custom/modules/Cases/views/view.edit.php and
comment out the line

$newScript .= “tinyMCE.execCommand(‘mceAddControl’, false, document.getElementById(‘description’));”;

and you are done!

1 Like

In some modules, there is an option in the vardefs saying this:

'editor' => 'html'

which you can remove to eliminate the rich-text editor. But I am not sure if that is being respected in Cases module.

Thank you for your advice! This line doesn’t seem to be in the file?

Found the solution:

1. Create file at custom/Extension/modules/Cases/Ext/Vardefs/customizations.php
  2. Add following lines (note I disabled TinyMCE on both description and updates)
    unset($dictionary[‘Case’][‘fields’][‘description’][‘editor’]);
    unset($dictionary[‘Case’][‘fields’][‘update_text’][‘editor’]);
  3. Do a “quick repair and rebuild”
1 Like

Nice to hear you got it working.

I am currently working on template editors (for my PowerReplacer add-on) and I’d like to ask you, if you don’t mind - what is the reason for not wanting that WYSIWIG editor there? What problems was it giving you?

It was just more bloat than we needed. If there’s no need to have rich text, it takes up additional space in the db, will make importing/exporting the data to other tools more difficult, etc. Plus it means copying and pasting data into that field is now less complicated because we don’t have to choose a “copy as plain-text option” and/or use notepad as an intermediary step.

1 Like

Yes, yes, necro-post

Any idea on a similar fix for v8.6.1?

I tried adding the file …/suitecrm/public/legacy/custom/Extension/modules/Cases/Ext/Vardefs/customizations.php ; after a Quick Repair and Rebuild all it did was brick my interface. Thankfully I took a snapshot first.

This might help point in the right direction: