How to change ownership of suitecrm on shared hosting?

before the SuiteCRM Installation Pre-Requisites section there are 4 permission statements of which Line 1 poses a problem for me:

Line 1: sudo chown -R www-data:www-data .

I have cpanel access and filezilla - but no SSH/CLI access - and using shared hosting…

how do i change the ownership?

the system user is ‘nobody’

i have put this problem to my hosting’s support but no answer yet…

has anyone else run into this problem?

did you get it resolved? how?

how important is it to change the ownership to the system user?

Ownership is crucial, because permissions (like 0755) don’t mean much without ownership settings, the two things reference each other.

However, on restrictive shared hostings there is a high chance that your files’ ownerships are already set the way they should.

So I would say the first step for you would be to determine (through Filezilla) if your ownerships are already set the correct user (which is the one given in the crontab command at the bottom of the screen in Admin /Schedulers).

my provider’s tech support has got back to me about setting the ownership of the suitecrm directory and then they set it

however i don’t think the ownership is set correctly

i’ve described in the following what they did and if somebody could check/comment it’d be greatly appreciated

will be running suitecrm on a shared server

ok my provider’s tech support got suitecrm directory created and set the ownership:

/home/my_account/suitecrm_directory

the suitecrm directories and files have not yet been uploaded to suitecrm_directory

the suitecrm directory ownership has been set to:

me_the_user:nobody

where nobody is the system user

i’ve been told that when the suitecrm directories and files have been uploaded to suitecrm_directory their ownership will be set to:

me_the_user:me_the_user

which i believe is not what suitecrm wants

but am i looking for those files to have ownership set to:

me_the_user:nobody

or is it:

nobody:nobody
??

Please refer to the last paragraph of my previous reply to see how to determine the correct user.

in Filezilla i do not see anything about Admin /Schedulers at the bottom of the screen - what screen?

i’ve googled: filezilla admin schedulers without any luck thus far

when you say filezilla are you talking about the client the free version or the pro version or the server version?

@pgr 's suggestion is to first have a look at the scheduler page of Suite. There (…index.php?module=Schedulers&action=index) you will find (at the bottom of the page) some instructions that explain how to execute the schedulers automatically by the OS:

chrome_jGNJlVmAD6

In this example, the correct username is therefore apache. pgr now would like you to compare this username with the name that you see as “owner” in filezilla while you are connected to your webserver.

1 Like

on the Downloading & Installing page

it says to run this on the suitecrm directory subdirs and files before running install.php:
sudo chown -R www-data:www-data .

when i use filezilla it shows the suitecrm directory having:

Owner/Group
2011 /99
?/nogroup

Inside your SuiteCRM, go to menu Admin, then click Schedulers, and check what it says there, which username appears in the crontab command.

that’s after suitecrm is installed - i’m given to understand from the downloadihg and installing page that the ownership be settled before running install.php or dire things will happen while installing and using suitecrm -

or that documentation isn’t worth the pixels it’s written on?

the documentation shows an example, as “www-data” is simply not correct for each environment (which is stated on the install page):

So after installing, go to admin->schedulers and look if the username shown there matches the owner you see in filezilla.

And of course its also possible to determine the proper user name before installing Suite, but that would require ssh access.

I made a Diagnostics PR looong ago that would help with all this. It includes all the needed information in one place, and it is callable both from within the app and from the command-line, which is obviously useful when the installation isn’t done yet, or when it is broken.

1 Like