I have been trying to upgrade from 7.13.x to 7.14.0 using the download on the upgrades page. When I do though the upgrade screen goes blank half way through the upgrade process, and I can’t work out why. I am on PHP 8.0 which the notes say is supported.
I posted a more detailed question a week back with no responses, so I thought I’d just check if anybody has managed to do this update at all?
I am 99% sure that the upgrader code can handle PHP 7.4 even in the versions that say they require a higher PHP, precisely to facilitate navigating those conundrums.
Meaning that you can probably interpret the compatibility matrix with some leniency in what regards the upgrade process - though definitely you should be strict when talking about running the entire CRM. It simply will not work outside the matrix.
Since upgrades need to be tested in test deployments, or inside VMs or containers that you can snapshot (and go back if they break), this is a simple test to make: just run the upgrade with a lower PHP version, keep your eye on php_errors.log to see if anything is cause for concern, and after the SuiteCRM upgrade finishes, upgrade your PHP.
I was intrigued by this so decided to take a snapshot of my box and go for the upgrade, running PHP 8.0. Upgrade worked fine, then removed PHP8.0 and replaced with 8.1 (running in php-fpm mode), everything seems to be working fine.
I’ve since upgraded PHP to 8.2 and MariaDB to 10.11 and still everything is good.
I just wanted to post back on here as I managed to upgrade from 7.13.x to 7.14.1 finally. I saw another forum thread (sorry can’t remember which one) suggesting running the update with PHP 7.4, as the problem I encountered is only an issue with PHP 8+. I rolled back to PHP 7.4 and the update ran perfectly first time using the 7.14.1 Upgrade from 7.13.x dated 3rd October. I then moved back to PHP 8.0 once it was done.
I’m going to hold off on going to v8 for now, but at least 7.14.1 is a step forward.
To be honest I have only just run the upgrade and having logged in everything seems to be working fine at first glance. I must confess I had thought 8.0 was the minimum and will update to 8.1 now, so thanks for flagging that up. I’d guess they have put 8.1 as a minimum for a reason, so no point pushing my luck and finding a problem later.