Hanging during installation on Hostgator shared server

I’m trying to install on a hostgator shared server account. I unpacked the zip file and changed the permissions and I can navigate to the installation web page. In Step 2, I kept getting errors that the database credentials weren’t right. So I went into cpanel and created a mysql database and an admin user. I then provided that info in Step 2 and the errors went away. However every time I click Next, it says a pop-up appears saying that it’s validating the db and then it just returns back to the Step 2 page. I can’t get it to proceed any further.

Any ideas what I’m missing?

Thanks.

Normally you don’t create the SuiteCRM database, the installer does it for you. Of course you have to be able to provide the installer with valid database credentials - your hosting can help you with that. You should probably be using “localhost” as the database server address.

You also have install.log on the root of your SuiteCRM install to check what the errors are.

Yeah, I thought that was how it was supposed to work, and after I created the database, I got a message from the installer that it already existed and that all tables would be wiped out (fine, it was empty/new). But then it wouldn’t proceed.

So I just deleted the existing database and started over. I made sure to use my database admin user ID and I told it to create a new user ID for SuiteCRM. No errors, but it returned to the Step 2 page. I checked in cpanel and the database was not created, nor was the SuiteCRM user. However, back on the Step 2 page, it now shows the database user and the drop-down menu defaults to “Provide existing user”, as if it thinks the user was created.

Still can’t proceed past this page. I’ve filled in all required (red asterisk) entries, so I don’t think it’s that.

What does install.log say?

Excellent question. Here’s the tail end of the log:

2018-02-07 22:56:32…DB not selected, will create suitecrm
2018-02-07 22:56:32…Passed DB install check
2018-02-07 22:56:32…SUCCESS:: no errors detected!
2018-02-07 22:56:32…End DB Check Process *************
2018-02-07 22:56:33…installerHook: Could not find custom/install/install_hooks.php

The custom directory exists, but there’s no install subdirectory.

Hhmm that doesn’t tell me much. You might have more interesting things in suitecrm.log

Anyway, you’re stumbling in what is normally a very easy thing to do. Something is wrong with your hosting. When I install on Ubuntu from the command-line, I use these modules (for PHP 7.0):

apt install zip unzip iotop htop php-mbstring php7.0-mbstring php-gettext php-xml-parser php7.0-zip php7.0-imap php7.0-gd php7.0-curl phpmyadmin

In your CPanel, you’ll find a way to turn PHP modules on or off. Try to see if you can match some of these, especially the zip ones.

A final idea, if this doesn’t work, is to check browser errors in your browser’s Developer console. Maybe something is breaking in the screen, causing a problem later in the install process.

1 Like

pgr, thanks for your help.
"
I ended up deleting the installation several times and trying different combinations of user names and so on. I eventually was able to get it installed (with one caveat) by using my hostgator cpanel credentials and then “Use admin user” for the drop-down. The caveat is that it threw a bunch of errors such as the following:

[color=#0000bb]Thu Feb 8 14:07:53 2018 [411585][-none-][FATAL] Query Failed: SELECT id FROM aow_workflow WHERE aow_workflow.flow_module = ‘ACLActions’ AND aow_workflow.status = ‘Active’ AND (aow_workflow.run_when = ‘Always’ OR aow_workflow.run_when = ‘On_Save’ OR aow_workflow.run_when = ‘Create’) AND aow_workflow.deleted = 0 : MySQL error 1146: Table ‘garlick_suitecrm.aow_workflow’ doesn’t exist[/color]

Hostgator’s database panel also doesn’t show the new database, but I can connect to it from the command line with mysql. And I can login to to SuiteCRM with the administrative user that I created, so I guess I’m in business and I can move on to learning how to use it.

-Tim.