Failed upgrade from 7.1.2 to 7.2.3 - Nothing but a blank screen

Failed upgrade from 7.1.2 to 7.2.3 - Nothing but a blank screen

A couple of years ago I started playing with SuiteCRM. I got it up and running and loaded a database with 1000 accounts and 1200 contacts, but put it aside for a while.
Recently, I dug it out again and decided that before trying to resolve some minor problems, I should update it to the current release. So I downloaded the upgrade ZIP files and launched upgradeWizard.

My first problem was some files had wrong ownership, which caused the upgradeWizard to block the update from 7.1.2 to 7.2.3 … After I fixed that, the update ran and displayed a message that it was complete, but it then went to a blank screen. Now when I try to connect to the SuiteCRM URL, I just get a blank screen … no HTML source is ever loaded into the browser.

The sugarcrm.log file prints this one line ever minute:
Mon Jul 25 13:47:02 2016 [31270][1][FATAL] Job 50d6c63f-948a-8eaf-741a-57967ae5445f (AOP Check Inbound Mailboxes) failed in CRON run

I don’t think this is really why it is failing.

Is there a simple way I can run the SuiteCRM code fro m a commandline and get an idea of how far it is getting?
I tried to
cd /home/httpd/SuiteCRM
php -f index.php
… but it just goes silently to the bash prompt with no output.
How can I trace through the execution? (I am a C and PERL programmer; never worked with PHP before>)

Check you web server error log. That should show the error. If you’re using a standard linux with apache the log file should be located in /var/log/apache.

Most likely it’s throwing a PHP error due to missing modules. If you cannot find the error log you could also change the following line at the top of your index.php temporarily in order to have it display all errors:

ini_set("display_errors", 1);
1 Like

Thank you for the hints.
The final steps of the upgrade had failed in the sense that cache files could not be properly renamed due to file ownership errors.
I had accidentally set up cron.php to run in root’s crontab instead of apache’s crontab. The once-a-minute cron job was setiing the wrong ownership on all sorts of files and interfering with the update process.

It might be possible to check for this in the cron job (even to change the userid on the fly to correct it).

1 Like

Increase memory_limit to 256 MB in php.ini. This fixed my upgrade wizard problems.