We have a SuiteCRM instalation version 7.11.3 (Sugar Versión 6.5.25 althought this might be like that for everyone) and we have been having problems with sending emails.
Emails send through the default outbound account works perfectly (doesn’t duplicate), but when we want to give users the possibility to send through their own accounts this happens (I made the screenshot before filling the form with the receiver):
When trying to send the email:
The suitecrm.log says, wisely:
I have travelled the whole world wide web but no one seems to have this problem. I tried looking at user configuration, outbounds email settings, email settings, office365, the email tables on the DB, repair options multiple times, editing the JS that defines the email module behaviour manually, php.ini settings, the SuiteCRM client and I haven’t come accross any significant lead. I really don’t know how to make my clients able to send emails through their own accounts…