email with special character replaced with ?

So when I create email from within Suite like this one:

It is being sent but when I receive it all of the special characters (Š, š, Č, č, Ć, ć, Đ, đ, Ž, ž) are replaced with ?

And in the DB it is just like it should be:

php.ini is set for UTF8:

And those characters are well displayed elsewhere in the Suite but the problem arises only with sent emails.

What should I do? What have I missed?

What is your version of SuiteCRM?

Currently it is 7.10.1 but I have experienced the same problem with few other versions like 7.8.3…7.9.5…and finally on 7.10.1

If you can please wait for 7.10.3, it includes a bunch of email bug fixes. Should be coming out this week.

Then, if the problem persists, please open a new issue for it on GitHub. Thanks

Ok. Thank you for the info. Will test with newest version next week and if error persists report a new issue.

Ok. So I have some progress here but still stuck. Here is what I have found out.
If you want your email encoded with some special characters you also need to set it per user and globally.

For Serbian and other languages in SEE/CEE one should use 8595-2.
And now I can send emails with special characters:

It is being received like it should:

So I have set up global charset to be used when sending emails by adding this line in the config_override.php:
$sugar_config[‘default_email_charset’] = ‘ISO-8859-2’;

And I was expacting to finally have workflow based automated emails sent with special characters like it should…

Now it encounters fatal error when email is being sent using email template.
It turns out to encode this special characters into hex and trying to insert it into db with out success.

(download this image to see it full size)
ERROR: An error occurred translating the query string to UTF-16: No mapping for the Unicode character exists in the target multi-byte code page.
No email is being logged in the database.
But email is being received with some encoding mistakes:

I will definitely wait for the next version and will test again but it sims to be some very specific problem here related only to email templates engine.
It is php 7.1 and it is using sqlsrv for MSSQL.

Ok, great diagnosis. Make sure you open an issue with this stuff if the new release doesn’t fix things for you. I don’t want to sound pessimistic, but I don’t think it will - I’ve been looking at the email fixes included and I don’t think this particular issue was addressed.