Email continues to be unreliable making SuiteCRM hard to use - here is a bold suggestion

Long time user of SuiteCRM, was using SugarCRM until the SuiteCRM branch. Got stuck at 7.8.31 because of email. Later releases Email continues to be buggy. Things as simple as an attachment go missing under certain circumstances. This sort of bug has the potential to mis-communicate with customers and lose business. Or worse, get sued. Have listed some issues over at Github. Have been waiting years for email issues to get resolved, but appears something that is no fun to work on, so they get addressed as back burner issues. Due to archaic email, our usage of SuiteCRM has declined. After users revolting, I finally had to switch to a modern open source email client and selected Roundcube, which btw is terrific, and there is no way I will get users to switch back. That is why I waited so long to change the email client, because I knew once I opened up that bottle, could never put the genie back.

THE BOLD SUGGESTION:

To SuiteCRM developers, I suggest porting code from Roundcube. Yes, I know, easier said than done, but once complete, you will have gold and get your code maintained for as close to free as possible

Which was the last version you tested?

7.13 is the first release in a very long time that had significant improvements in email. Especially in the basic configuration screens which are quite important to facliitate testing and well, everything else that needs to be built on top of that :slight_smile:

There might be a few glitches in this new 7.13 code, but I’m sure they will get fixed soon and this was a major step forward. I know other steps will follow.

Still, I’ve had this discussion about Roundcube with a friend that is a developer at SalesAgility. It is in fact a good client, and we could attempt some sort of integration - not necessarily ported code, but rather some way of running it “inside” SuiteCRM. It’s a hard project, but I agree it could make sense.

Meanwhile, if this fresh start at fixing email develops well, maybe it won’t be necessary…

I’ve tested a bunch.
PHP Versions tested - 7.4.26, 8.0.13, 8.0.27
SuiteCRM versions tested 7.12.6, 7.13.0, 7.13.1, 8.2.2

A few bugs persist regardless of above. If you look thru github, you will find a lot of bugs, many very old, which leads me to believe its a back burner, no fun thing to work on.

We simply can’t use SuiteCRM as an email client for our organization with these types of problems. This is unfortunate. Yes, maybe some sort of integration of Roundcube would be the way to go. I’ve glanced at the Roundcube code, and it looks pretty well put together.

1 Like

I have the same view, and have been using suitecrm since it was forked from sugar.

Email and Meetings are an essential part of the relationship with a customer/client, and it seems bizarre to me that there isn’t better integration - its a huge bottleneck in productivity - which other systems such as monday, bitrix, BQE etc seem to do well.

The email module may have improved , but it doesn’t come close to being usable to me - it would be interesting to find out how others actually use it.

Integrating Roundcube would be an amazing step to overcome this.

hello everyone,
I asked cyborgsolutionpk to do this integration and it’s just beautiful.

Capture d’écran 2024-03-05 à 18.46.36

Finally, my complete mail management is on my server!

1 Like

Hi

Interesting!

Can you please elaborate on what the integration does?

Is it just an iframe showing roundcube inside SuiteCRM? Or are there additional integration “connections”, like using the email configuration from one in the other, or linking emails to SuiteCRM email records and other records?.. etc

It’s in Iframe with integration in roundcube for archive email on different module .
I think it’s an issue for the email in suitecrm !!

We continue to make progress on integration and I admit that it is becoming more and more fun.
Now when I click on a contact’s email in Suitecrm, the writing window opens with the prefilled email. We can retrieve the templates emails. And we can decide on the module on which we archive the email before sending.
It is enabled for contacts/ Accounts/ Leads. By cons no variable type $contact-name and company …
Not for quotes yet, because it seems complicated to export variables when using “Email Quotation”. If anyone has an idea about it;)

Capture d’écran 2024-03-13 à 08.18.16

Hello everyone,

We’ve been using our new tool for about 10 days. And it’s really great.
In summary:

• Integration of roundcube in Iframe
  • Replacement of the following email module by roundcube
  • Access to the suitecrm templates from the roundcube writing window.
  • Proposal for archiving emails directly in roundcube or by a “export to crm” button that allows us to choose the module to assign the email, change the subject of the email.
  • Automatic sending and archiving on the contact form, when you click on the contact email, the roundcube redaction window opens with the email of the contact pre-filled.
  • On this last point, we have when the possibility to archive it on another module (invoice for example)
  • Each user logs in with his own email address and we have made a common folder in the mailboxes in order to be able to transfer customer emails between each user.

That’s it for now.

• Next steps, be able to add a pdf template to an email
  • Synchronize contacts with roundcube contacts
  • Find a solution for email template variables.
  • Find a solution for quotation to pdf which also has many variables
    For this last point, I would like to find a script that retrieves the html code and pastes it in the roundcube writing window.

In any case, it has really streamlined our work and made us completely independent of paid plugin or browser choice.

Nice day to all
Quentin

Wow! I’m starting to see your vision. This could really replace the email module.