dropdown editor is not working properly

Good Day!

I'm in need of help. My concern is that, when adding/editing a field from dropdown editor it won't function properly. Just like the picture shown below, as you can see the column status is blank.

The status should should be like the picture shown below.

It won’t show any field. I have tried the repair solution but nothing changes it is still the same. Anyone who knows how this works please kindly share your thoughts.

Hi,

I believe that the Case’s “Status” field is a dynamic dropdown field by default.
This means that the dropdown values available are dependant on the choice made on its Parent Dropdown field, (In this case, “State”)

If you have changed the dropdown list for “Status” so that it doesn’t fit the format required for a Dynamic dropdown, ( [PARENT ITEM NAME]_[CHILD ITEM NAME] )it won’t allow you to select values, thus none will show up on the listview / detailview / editview.

There are a few options you might want to take here to fit:

You could modify the dropdown list for the “State” field to have the labels you are adding. (“I am Working on it” / “Completed”)
However, if you do, make sure that you keep the Item name values the same as they were previously. (i.e, “Open” and “Closed”), as the “Status” field will require them to be the same.

But, the approach i’d recommend would be to create a custom Dropdown field for your statuses, and create a custom Dropdown list for this.
Then, add this field to the Edit view / Detail view / List view so that you can select values for this field and view them.

Thanks for the response John. what do you mean by

[size=3][color=#8800ff][size=2]If you have changed the dropdown list for “Status” so that it doesn’t fit the format required for a Dynamic dropdown, ( [PARENT ITEM NAME]_[CHILD ITEM NAME] )it won’t allow you to select values, thus none will show up on the listview / detailview / editview.[/size][/color][/size]

here below is for the ‘state’

what should be the same between status and state?

i already did what you’ve said [size=3][color=#8800ff]You could modify the dropdown list for the “State” field to have the labels you are adding. (“I am Working on it” / “Completed”)
However, if you do, make sure that you keep the Item name values the same as they were previously. (i.e, “Open” and “Closed”), as the “Status” field will require them to be the same.[/color][/size]

but nothing changes.

how can i do what you’ve recommend (creating a customized dropdown list)? i apologized if i ask too many questions for i am still a beginner.

Hi,

When i said:
If you have changed the dropdown list for “Status” so that it doesn’t fit the format required for a Dynamic dropdown, ( [PARENT ITEM NAME]_[CHILD ITEM NAME] )it won’t allow you to select values, thus none will show up on the listview / detailview / editview.

What i mean is, the “State” dropdown is the parent of the dynamic dropdown"Status"
Thus, for the “Status” dropdown field to show values, they must be in a certain format. ( [PARENT ITEM NAME]_[CHILD ITEM NAME] )

Using “State” and “Status” as an example it would be:

State:
Open
Closed

Open_New
Open_Assigned
Closed_Closed
etc…

So, For the “Status” field to display “New” or “Assigned” as an option, the “State” field must be selected as “Open”
and, for the “Status” field to display “Closed” as an option, the “State” field must be selected as "Closed.

So, if the “Status” field has an item in its dropdown with no parent item, (I.e, the bit before the ‘_’), then it cannot display these options.

So, to answer your question:
what should be the same between status and state?

The parent item names in Status should be the same as the item names in State.
(i.e, “Open_New” in “Status” & “Open” in “State”)

To create a Custom Dropdown Field & list, this can be done through studio.

Go to Admin > Studio > Dropdown Editor
Click “Add Dropdown”
Create your dropdown list how you like.
Save.

Then go to Admin > Studio > Cases > Fields
And click “Add field”

Then choose type: “Dropdown” and fill in the fields how you like.

On the field “Drop Down List”, select the dropdown list previously created.
Then save.

Then, you can add this field to the Edit view / Detail View / List View / Search view in Admin > Studio > Cases > Layouts > (Choose the view you want to add it to)

Hopefully that answers your questions!

1 Like

Thank You John.

It works.