do not allow duplicate name

Hi,

I recently installed a new package with a new module (basic). One of the required field is the ā€˜nameā€™, however, it does not notify or warn me from creating duplicate entries. Is it possible to add a warning/notification page as shown on the screenshot attached? (taken from ā€˜Accountsā€™ module when attempting to create duplicate entry), and if possible to remove the ā€˜Saveā€™ button as not to allow any duplicate entries at all.

Thanks

Hi Uncertainty,

Thanks for the suggestion. For now you could add custom JavaScript to do some validation on that field to prevent you from creating duplicate modules.

Thanks,

Will.

Agree that this future might be useful, but dont do it by default.
We use same accountā€™s names and use another field as unique code (name + assigned user) - different managers have Accountā€™s card for the same account.
May be more universal solution would be: create default field with possibility to create unique key as combination of other fields with letā€™s say some separator.

Duplicates are big problem for us, but we simply wouldnā€™t be able to use the product if it went this drastic. For example, assume that you have Bob Smith Sr., Bob Smith Jr. and Bob Smith III as your customers. The only real ways to tell them apart (other than visually) are by date of birth, home address, etc. Since they are 3 separate people, they should have 3 separate records in Leads and/or Contacts. However, based on your proposition, Iā€™d only be able to have one record for all three of them since they all have the same first and last name.

Iā€™ve been investigating this myself and I found this: https://www.sugaroutfitters.com/addons/duplicate-detector

Now if I can just find something to help me merge the existing duplicatesā€¦

Hi,

Is any addin free download which will help to detect duplicate while adding contact name or company name in account & lead. which will help me to add new contact with same name or avoid.

It will also take care while importing lead/account/contact.

Thanks in advance

Nitesh V Shah.

hi
dupicate check while adding Contact or Company name is out of the box feature. You can agree or disagree to create Contact or Company with the name wich was detected as ā€œmay duplicateā€. In other words this feature just alert you that new Contact (Company) has same name with another one in the database.

Hope it helps.

If this feature could be added to the program, with the option, to configure it to which fields it will ā€œlookā€ for duplicates, that would be more than great. It would be nice if it can run on the background, to prevent creation of duplicates. But also to run it as a separate Administrator / or assigned person task where you could select more fields to to do a deeper duplicate search. In the first case, it should show you a duplicate result that you can review to check or it is a true duplicate (The same person or company) or simply an identical value for whatever matching field, without leaving the creation of the new record. If it is the same person / company, it should offer the option to merge the newly added info, with the existing record.

[off topic]
I am Dutch, but moved over to live in Egypt some years ago. I am about to start a company and in my search for a good CRM program, I first started with trying out sugarCRM, then moved to vTiger, because of the commercial aspirations of sugarCRM. Then while I made myself familiar with vTiger for some time, I discovered that vTiger was going the same track as sugarCRM, they became commercial. While the fork of vTiger from sugarCRM was exactly that reason.
Since suiteCRM is also started for the same reason, I do hope it will never follow that same track. It is very frustrating to start with a good functioning, open source project, with all the functions, whistles and bells fully integrated and working, and then they change it to SaaS or stripped open source version. With the only option that if you want all the nice features, that you will have to pay for it.
[/off topic]

I saw a very nice feature in the fight against duplicates. It is commercially sold by Enjay. They have the standard function version, but also an enhanced version of the first one. It uses analytical (same sounding) duplicate checking. In Arabic countries, there are two problems with names. First of all, relatively many people are having the same name. Secondly, there are many ways to write the same name. In Arabic countries, they also write the names in western (Non-Arabic) script. Because there are many systems in use that are unable to record the names in Arabic. As you can imagine, there is a big problem at our company horizon with duplicate names. Since Arabic names are phonetically translated to the Western script. This way, we add even more variations to how a name can be written. Our company will record the names only in Western script. A very clever (preventive) duplicate checking mechanism, available out of the box, will for sure add great value to suiteCRM. It will position suiteCRM much stronger in the market, since (For as far as I know) no other competition does have such functionality build in their CRM software.

So far I love suiteCRM. I hope and expect to see much beautiful things to come in the future of suiteCRM. (But some updating of old php, to get it run more smooth on recent versions of php, would be nice. But this is already the problem of sugarCRM.) Hopefully step-by-step, it does become the most perfect free CRM (or framework which you suit by add-ons to do whatever you want it to do) available. Then it becomes really a very sweetCRM.

Keep up the great work.

There are various methods for dealing with duplicates. One of better ones Iā€™ve encountered so far is for Salesforce called DupeDetector. If you guys are looking to do some configurable de-dupeing, dupe catching, etc. itā€™s definitely a model that Iā€™d recommend that you look at.