@Devs... Why isn't there a e-mail field available in Studio? 🛠

Pretty much as the subject headline says:

Why isn’t there a e-mail field available in the studio dropdown? :thinking:
That would be immensely useful and add value to SuiteCRM!

From my point of view it doesn’t make any logical sense why it hasn’t been added long time ago…

Kind regards
PowerrQuest

Emails are a relationship do the email addresses module. This allows multiple emails per record which was a basic requirement for a CRM…

1 Like

Thanks, but doesn’t that get deleted once you update to a newer version?

Kind regards
PowerrQuest

lol… you keep deleting the link @LionSolution :joy:

Thanks I got it though. I’ll check it out later. It is obviously not the same as if SuiteCRM has the e-mail field to chose from in studio → XYZ —> fields which would be way more convenient and useful

Kind regards
PowerrQuest

^___^ I’ve checked it was using a SugarCRM function:
$this->emailAddress->handleLegacyRetrieve($this);
i’m sure it couldn’t work.
Please try this one:

1 Like

Thank you, it is appreciated. :facepunch:
I’ll check that one out too.

I just wonder how compatible the SugarCRM code is these days as its been quite long time since the divorce between SugarCRM and the community edition SugarCRM CE which they stopped their support to.

Kind regards
PowerrQuest

Hi PowerrQuest

Could you expand on the WHY of your request?

Why isn’t there a e-mail field available in the studio dropdown? :thinking:
That would be immensely useful and add value to SuiteCRM!

The screenshot you show is not of fields - but of ‘field types’.

When and How would an email field-type be helpful?

From my point of view it doesn’t make any logical sense why it hasn’t been added long time ago…

There have always been Fields to store emails in. They use the field-type ‘TextField’

If it is indeed a field-type called ‘email’ that you want -could you update the Thread title to make that explicit.

Right now the Title is very misleading -because of COURSE there are email fields in Studio!

1 Like

Interesting, thank you.

Kind regards
PowerrQuest

Well looking into it, will not LBL_EMAIL just default the the main e-mail field?

What we have done is a to add a field with the company alternative (e.g. info@ etc) e-mail, which of course is an alternative/different e-mail than the default ones.

Kind regards
PowerrQuest

Hmmm… :thinking:

We added “LBL_EMAIL” to a new field but it doesn’t make a difference. The system does not translate that to a clickable e-mail address.

Thanks for the suggestion though! :+1:

Kind regards
PowerrQuest

The label is just the translatable text that appears next to the field for humans to read. It does not bring any sort of functionality with it.

Email fields are more complex than they seem, there’s much to be said about validation, making them clickable, relating records throughout the CRM because of equal (or similar, equivalent) emails, multiple emails per records, etc.

Storing an email address as text is simple. The rest requires a bit of extra work.

1 Like

That makes sense, thanks for clarifying that @pgr

Kind regards
PowerrQuest