Custom URL POST variables

I have created a custom button that uses a custom url with additional post data and fires a logic hook but I am unable to access the data posted in the url for example ‘renew_id’ is my variable name but it has no data. Am I missing something.

Basically what happens is when the user clicks on the renew button that is on the SubPanel ListView Line the link is the editview create with additional POST data added &renew_id=94034fl… this is the record id of the parent. I need to keep most of the data from the record to populate the new record that will be created with the save hook. If I can’t access the renew_id then I can’t get the data from the parent to do this. Am I going about this the wrong way or am I just missing something?

Thanks for your help

Ok, so I dove into this and ended up putting this option under actions. I edited the header.tpl file to add a new form field that I could pass custom data through and then access it via the logic hook by utilizing $_REQUEST . Of course i’m not sure if editing the header.tpl file is upgrade safe or not (Something tells me that it probably is not) but it works. Now renewal works and everyone is happy :).

But if anyone else has a better way of doing this, feel free to comment.

Normally if you copy the files over to the custom directory, and change it there, your customization is upgrade-safe ( or at least upgrade-safer). I believe (but I’m not 100% sure) that this also applies to .tpl files.

BTW, if you can find the time to describe your findings in greater detail, paste some code snippets, etc., that could be a nice help for somebody else in the future. Thanks.