CRM - Capital Letters

We have had a new employee that insists that their previous CRM had all data and the program in general was all in Capital Letters. I asked around and it does appear that most CRMs have everything in Capital Letters. This shocked me. Is this due to the fact that most companies are using CRM from the 1980s/1990s where everything was RPG and AS/400 type of thing.

Is there a reason for this? Should I spend the time and effort to convert our data and version of suitecrm to be in Capital Letters?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

It can’t be true that “most” CRM’s use capitals. Maybe a few, for those historic reasons.

I’d say all caps is just wrong. I would spend time converting data to be capitals+lowercase, as appropriate. I definitely would not waste a minute of my time to convert anything to all-caps, it looks really ugly.

No your direct solution to make it uppercase… but you can adjust the code and hard switch to whatever feeling you want once your data is all there…You will have to run this on each table/collum that you want to have changed…

You will have to go into your mysqladmin console for the table…

DROP FUNCTION IF EXISTS proper;
DELIMITER |
CREATE FUNCTION proper( str VARCHAR(128) )
RETURNS VARCHAR(128)
BEGIN
DECLARE c CHAR(1);
DECLARE s VARCHAR(128);
DECLARE i INT DEFAULT 1;
DECLARE bool INT DEFAULT 1;
DECLARE punct CHAR(17) DEFAULT ' ()[]{},.-_!@;:?/';
SET s = LCASE( str );
WHILE i <= LENGTH( str ) DO   
    BEGIN
SET c = SUBSTRING( s, i, 1 );
IF LOCATE( c, punct ) > 0 THEN
SET bool = 1;
ELSEIF bool=1 THEN
BEGIN
IF c >= 'a' AND c <= 'z' THEN
BEGIN
SET s = CONCAT(LEFT(s,i-1),UCASE(c),SUBSTRING(s,i+1));
SET bool = 0;
END;
ELSEIF c >= '0' AND c <= '9' THEN
SET bool = 0;
END IF;
END;
END IF;
SET i = i+1;
END;
END WHILE;
RETURN s;
END;
|
DELIMITER ;

update contacts set primary_address_street=proper(primary_address_street)

you can see how I have used this to change my address entries to Proper Case Like This

I scraped this from stackoverflow … I needed a solution… I was entering in customer’s data and just told myself ohh I will process this later…

yup… later was today.