Bounce handling email problem

Hello,
My suitecrm version is 7.11.18 (mariaDB 10.4, php 7.2).
I have checked that all my schedulers work fine.
I have configured one email account (info@mydomain.com) that works ok. I can send and receive emails.
In addition I have configured one bounce handling account (bounce@mydomain.com)

The problem has to do with bounced messages during a campaign. They are not monitored.

Since suitecrm monitors bounce handling account (bounce@mydomain.com) for bounce messages, in order for this to work, messages that bounce must return to my bounce account. In my case, bounce messages return to my outbound account (info@mydomain.com).

I tried to use the same account (info@mydomain.com) both for outbound and bounce. Nothing changed. Although bounced messages returned to this account (like before), suitecrm doesn’t mark the email as bounced in campaign status,

Ηave I got something wrong?

Hi @konstantinos0,

You can’t route the bounces to another address by setting a reply-to email . You have to send from the address that is also the bounce address. Most users use addresses like “no-reply@”.

When SuiteCRM checks the bounce handling account it only reads the “unseen” emails. This means you should not open the emails in another email program before SuiteCRM has had the opportunity to process them.

Hi @jansiero and thanks for one more time.
I did not know how bounce mail works. I thought that I could send bounces to another email account. Well I had done it in mautic, but I don’t remember what I had done.

When I tried to use the same account (info@myaccount.com) as sender and bounce account, it didn’t work. Maybe I had opened the reply before suitecrm read it.

However, I have just found an other solution, using separate accounts for sending and bounce.
Since bounces return to info@mydomain.com, I have created a filter to redirect all messages with subject “Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender” to my bounce account.
I have just tested and it works. Suitecrm marks these mails as bounced.

But maybe it is a better idea to use an “no-reply@” address as you said.

So, we keep that:
we must use the same account for sending/bounce
we must not open the replies since suitecrm checks the unread messages.

Hi,

I am trying to reproduce the above and to get the bounced mails monitoring running, one question:

If the account for bounced mails must be the same as sending account (“From” Address) what is the purpose of the Outgoing Email Account (as drop down menu in campaign settings, step “Marketing”)?

Thx

@inok I think @konstantinos0 contradicts himself, there must be some mistake:

I think he meant “we must not use the same account” etc

Thank you, it makes it more difficult, however.

I could not find the logic for the mail campaign accounts architecture in the manual.

Should it be: Bounce Handling Acct + “From” Acct + “Reply-to” Acct?

If the Bounce Acct is different from the “From” (sending account) - how it shall monitor bounced mails then as they go automatically to the “From” account?

I referred to this one too…

I am not entirely sure, but this is how I see it:

• bounces are SMTP Return-Path parameter
  • reply-to are SMTP Reply-To parameter

It doesn’t really matter what you put in reply-to when a bounce occurs. The destination email server will bounce without asking the user, and without reaching any email client. It will use Return-path.

SuiteCRM has a separate handling mechanism for Bounces. You se the correct account in the campaign, and a separate job grabs the incoming bounces. You then track that on the Campaign status screens, you don’t open and delete bounce email manually.

I think

Thank you for prompt reply!

My take aways so far:

1. Configure a Bounce Handling Account (Acct 1) and let the Scheduler screen this account at
    given hours for bounced mails and make records in the campaign status (Return path parameter)
  2. Use a different account for outgoing mails “From” Address (Acct 2) (From parameter)
  3. Use a different account for replies “Reply-to” Address (Acct 3) (Reply to parameter)

Does the selection of the Bounce Handling Account in the campaign drop down menu matter even if the fields “From” Address and “Reply to” Address have different accounts entries?

And if so, I am still struggling to understand how the Bounce Handling Account (Acct 1) knows what is the Return path if the Outgoing Account is different (Acct 2)?

This is seeming exceedingly complicated, you don’t need to multiply accounts.

Just have a separate account for Bounces, that’s all. You tell the campaign wizard which account is for bounces. When the campaigns send emails, they use that address for Return-path. That’s simple enough and I don’t believe any other factor is involved here (from, reply-to, whatever).

Then the destination web servers send back bounces to the Return-path address and SuiteCRM tracks them.

If this still doesn’t make sense to you, please backtrack a little and explain why you feel you need to use a third account here. I don’t think I am understanding that part.