Automatic contact ID generation

I noticed that contact do not have a Contact ID. Well, maybe it does behind the scenes, in the database, but then it probably will be a large number.
Wat I mean, is a normal ID number. That does surprise me very much, that a CRM of this size does not have such an (imho) important option.

If you call one of your utility companies, (Or any other large company) probably the first thing that they will ask for, is a Customer ID number.
Of course, we are all human beings and all have a name. We prefer not to be referred by a number. But if you quickly want to find a name in a system, a number is much faster and much more failure proof / foolproof than a name.

Is there a way to auto generate a unique number per contact? One that has an option for off-set and pre-set value?
IE. [fixed part of a number / coded service name] - 123-45678 (auto generated, incremental number) - Plus-whatever
And a start value of the number.

This would be a very nice addition to the contacts field.
Optionally, it could be developed as a module that generates the number. And for every module or place where you want this auto generated number to be applied, you create a new autogenerate field.

Also it should have the ability, to add numbers to contacts already in the database.

I have not checked or this auto generation of numbers is already available in invoices, but otherwise, it also would be a great option for the invoices.
If it is already in invoices, maybe the function can be adopted to be usable in contacts.

I saw on the internet quite some people search for such a function, just like me, and none of them did find it.

I am not a coder/programmer, therefore unable to build this myself.
I hope that this option will be included, or if there is already something available like this, that somebody can direct me where I can find it.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

We’re working through the suggestions and will let you know if this will be included or not. Thanks, Will.