I am running into a consistent problem with the authentication process in SuiteCRM. For example, I installed Lead Grabber, a Chrome extension for SuiteCRM, authentication log in error. I get the same response from Zapier, Wistia, etc. In troubleshooting this in Zapier, there was a suggestion that the directory where I had installed SuiteCRM needed to have the permissions changed from http:// to https:// The SuiteCRM is in a subdirectory on one of my servers - is the url that I use to access the program - but it is not working when asked for an url in programs with supported SugarCRM/SuiteCRM extensions like Zapier, Lead Grabber.