After updating Ubuntu to 22.04.4 No longer can launch SuiteCRM 7

I just updated to Ubuntu to 22.04.4 and can no longer launch suiteCRM 7!

Hi,
I guess you have to provide way more info about the issues you encounter. Just to give you an idea:

• which versions of suite, apache, maria/mysql, php are in use
  • is the webserver generally working and reachable, does it still execute php
  • is the database up and running, is the db-user mentioned in the config.php still working/able to login
  • what are the error messages/log messages/problems exactly…

SuiteCRM v7.x works perfectly in the Ubuntu 22.04 :partying_face:

Compatibility matrix for v7.x

I upgraded Debian 11 to Debian 12 and Php 7.4 to Php 8.3 and I’m no longer able to start suitecrm. Here is the error log from the apache webserver:

[Tue Mar 05 20:56:26.995828 2024] [php:error] [pid 1525474] [client xxxxxxx] PHP Fatal error: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is no longer supported in /var/www/suitecrm/SuiteCRM-7.11.2/include/utils.php on line 3037

Please let me know if I should move this to a Debian thread. I think Ubuntu and Debian are very similar
Suitecrm version: 7.11.2

What SuiteCRM version you’re using?

Suitecrm version: 7.11.2

Oh yes, looking at the compatibility matrix, Php 8 will not work with suitecrm 7.11.x

Yes, it won’t work with PHP 8.3 :melting_face:

1 Like

Thanks for all the help! Greatly Appreciated, here are my versions.
Ubuntu to 22.04.4
SuiteCRM 7.12.5
Apache 2.4.58
MariaDB 10.6.16
php 8.1

So looking at the version matrix for SuiteCRM 7.12 it looks like I need to move back to php 7.4 or 8.0.

Yes, it is compatible with below PHP versions.

PHP 7.3, 7.4, 8.0

Updating my Linux OS, then discovering later that suitecrm crashes because the php version changed as been more than frustrating for me. Locking the php versions so they don’t update was one method I tried with reasonable success, but its far from desirable . There are other methods, of automatically selecting php versions, but I never had time to figure them out. Those with more programming knowledge may correct me, but I believe changes made in different php versions, such as array handling, destroy backwards compatibility. Thus I lay the blame, and my annoyance at this issue, on php, rather than on suitecrm.

For debian or Ubuntu you can easily switch PHP versions if you use the ondrej / sury repository.