Advice regarding contracts vs invoices

Hi everyone,

I am new to SuiteCRM and am hoping you can help with a little guidance in our deployment for a customer.

We have an online store which will be generating invoices, users opt in for the invoice to be renewed after a certain period. Invoices will have a renew date, very similar to contracts. Staff using the CRM would ideally be able to generate lists/reports of upcoming renewals or we would create a dashlet which shows renewals due in the next month.

Would I be better off customising contracts to accommodate the invoices or adding a renewal date to invoices and a workflow for alerting staff of upcoming renewals and duplicating the invoice with new dates.

Thanks for any help,

Sam Hall
HN Software Consulting

Hi there,

Invoices are different from contracts.

We can’t provide consultancy, as this is not part of support, but I would say the best way to tackle this would be to send out an invoice to the user and run a workflow on a custom check on the invoice(such as the user wants to renew) and create a contract from that via the workflow.

Thanks,

Will.

1 Like

Cheers for the advice Will, really my issue is that I don’t fully understand the Contracts module and haven’t been able to find a lot of documentation surrounding it.

After having a bit of a further investigation I think that I might be able to keep the entire workflow in the invoice module with a CRON job which duplicates invoices a set time before the renewal date. I will add a filter field to invoices which categorises them as Renewals or Executed, it is a bit messy but I think it might be simpler as Contracts and Invoices both use line items but are not linked themselves.

I could not see an upgrade safe way of creating a Contract from Invoices and vice versa on a timed interval.

Thanks again,

Sam