7.7.9->7.8.1 Bug in product screen

Hi there

Brand new, plain installation of 7.7.9 upgraded to 7.8.1 and everything that has been tested works fine, however, the product page looks like the attached. Is this a known issue?



The usual questions:

  • have you done a full browser cache clean? (also try with different browser)?
  • Have you done an Admin “quick repair and rebuild”?

Hi there

Yes on both counts.



Try resetting your permissions.

We originally had a whole host of issues prior to upgrade that turned out to be permission related. Permissions were reset just before upgrade and all of the issues disappeared.

So, to be clear - the installation was completed, permissions and ownership were set, the upgrade was then performed.



Often these problems just go away by themselves (when cache refreshes), but if you can reset permissions once more after the upgrade it might help.

Of course this shouldn’t be necessary but it depends on some factors.

As to the cause, just a question: do you have your cron jobs set up to run as root user?

Thanks for the suggestions. I reset the the permissions again and rebuilt again, but the problem persists. I have noticed that it says:

“If this error persists, please have your administrator disable Ajax for this module”

Any reasons why this might happen?

I’ve never seen turning off Ajax solve this kind of problems, I don’t know why that advice is there.

–> I asked you a question about cron jobs but you didn’t answer…

What you’re getting is that your browser is failing to load the CSS of those screens, causing them to look broken. This can be caused by permissions problems, or by cache corruption caused by past permissions problems. Normally these would be cleared by a Quick Repair and Rebuild, but it seems not in your case.

–> Do you see anything relevant in suitecrm.log or php_errors.log at the moment when those broken screens load?

–> maybe if you could give us some more info on your system, that usually helps when we’re just trying to guess what the problem is (OS, PHP, database, web server, SuiteCRM versions).


Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu)
Database client version: libmysql - mysqlnd 5.0.12-dev - 20150407 - $Id: 241ae00989d1995ffcbbf63d579943635faf9972 $
PHP extension: mysqli curl mbstring
PHP version: 7.0.13-0ubuntu0.16.04.1
Server: Localhost via UNIX socket
Server type: MySQL
Server version: 5.7.12-0ubuntu1.1 - (Ubuntu)

Cron jobs are run as root - should I change this to www-data user? I guess if something is created by root user when the cron job runs, then www-data will not have write permissions to it by default? I didn’t answer this the first time as I reset ownership of all files and directories to www-data and then did a quick rebuild of the database, guessing that this would accomplish the same thing only with correct permissions, if that’s what the problem was.

Interestingly I switched AJAX off for this module last night, however, I am unable to switch it back on in the ‘configure AJAX’ section, it reverts back to disabled. That to me would suggest a permissions issue with a config file not saving properly, however, surely it wouldn’t switch to disabled in the first place if that were the case? I have noticed several threads on here that talk about editing core code to rectify this particular issue, but I’m not keen on doing this as I want to stick to the standard installation to avoid upgrade problems.

Interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks for the help so far.

Yes, you should definitely change cron to run as www-data. Potentially this is breaking your system’s permissions every minute! Of course, it’s just potentially, not in fact. It depends on which process tries to write cache files first.

So, correct that, fix permissions again, do a Quick Repair and Rebuild again. Hopefully you’ll be fixed, although I fear you might have some additional problem and we might have to look further…