7.1.x to 7.2.1 update failed

I tried to update from 7.1.x to 7.2.1 but it failed : I got a blank page after the update process and nothing succeeded to get the CRM back. I had to restore both files and DB, thus back to 7.1.4.

Hi zicrob,

You’ll need to provide more information.

What is your server setup?

What errors did you receive?

If it white screened, you should turn on errors and debug.

Sometimes if you get a white screen, you can run a Quick Repair & Rebuild in Admin -> Repair and then navigate back to the Upgrade Wizard and the upgrade will complete.



Hello Will,
First, thank you for answering.
When I say “blank” it means “blank” : no menu to go to admin page, nothing at all nowhere.
About my server, I don’t know really. I use a Arvixe shared server.

May be you can answer to this : I installed SuiteCRM (and it’s really better than Sugar CE) from Softacullous on Arvixe. Usually, there is an “auto-upgrade” function that can be enabled. But this is missing for SuiteCRM. Do you know why ?


I also upgraded from 7.1.5 to 7.2.1. The preflight testes all passed but the upgradeWizard.log only gets as far as starting post install.
When you access the site, you get a white screen and the only error in debug console is error 500.

As I replied to another similar posting, I have tried this upgrade at least 8-9 times, and I always get the same output. I get the final steps that say “done” at the end.

I then go and try and use it, and after trying to edit something, I get a database failure.

I am totally stumped.

Besides maybe exporting everything, and making a fresh install, and importing, I am at a stone wall.



I have been working with my sysadmin partner in the company, and he looked over the logs and errors. Here is his comment in hopes that someone will see where the rors lies, besides it being just a permisions problems:

The problem may not be as much permissions as ownership. When the upgrade process happens some files appear with the owner and group of root. What is not clear to me is the mechanism by which this happens since the upgrade is done from the web. If anything I would expect to see files showing up with the ownership of the web servers parent process.

Thanks for getting back with any ideas.


Hi Joe, files will most likely be created by the root user unless you set the correct permissions in the config.php file to specify the owner/group for newly generated files.

If you’re getting database failures after the upgrade, run a Quick Repair & Rebuild in Admin -> Repair and scroll to the foot of the page. There will most likely be differences between the database and vardefs, execute these.



Well, it can work if one has access to the page. When I tried to update, it ended on a blank page. Entirelly blank. No menu, no title, nothing.

Try : deleted the folder Patch in the Upload/Upgrades/ folder. After that a reload of the “Upgrade Wizard page” showed the wizard again!

We are not able to upgrade from 7.1.6 to 7.2.2.
We are able to upload the upgrade package.
When the Next button is clicked for the preflight check the following error message displays:
“Upload File not found so redirecting to Upgrade Start
ZIP Error(5): Status(0): Arhive(): Directory(/home/xxxxxxx/public_html/xxxxxxxx/cache/upgrades/temp/11ND5x)”

The upgrade_progress.php file in the above folder has the following data:
// created: 2015-06-02 20:25:54
$upgrade_config = array (
1 =>
array (
‘upgrade_vars’ =>
array (
2 =>
array (
‘upload’ => ‘done’,

Any insights about how to overcome this install issue is greatly appreciated.


This is obviously an old thread, but I encountered this issue and didn’t see the cause/solution posted anywhere else. It is a simple oversight (at least in my case).

I am testing an upgrade process of SuiteCRM from 7.0 all the way to 7.5. This involves several incremental upgrades. This was being tested on a LAMP server with a copy of a production system.

The first upgrade (7.0.x to 7.1.8 ) went perfectly fine. The second upgrade attempt (7.1.8 to 7.3.2) threw the error shown above. After digging into this, when copying the production system the .htaccess files were not copied. After the first upgrade, the .htaccess file was created. Review of this file showed that it had the wrong rewrite directory because I overlooked the installation location noted in the config.php. This caused the inability to find the zip file as it was rewritten to my production location but looking for it in the test install.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Make sure that if you are testing on a copied system that you have updated the database AND directory information to the test locations.