Upgrade from 7.8.31 to 7.10.29 Failed

Web Server: Apache 2.4.29
PHP version: 5.6.32
MySQL version: 5.6.38 (Community Server)

I have a SuiteCRM 7.6.6 install that is running in a Bitnami SugarCRM image. I wanted to upgrade to 7.11.18 and then install a plugin. From what I understand, the recommended approach to get there is do an upgrade from 7.6.6 to 7.8.31, then 7.8.31 to 7.10.29, and finally, 7.10.29 to 7.11.18.

The upgrade from 7.6.6 to 7.8.31 went fine but 7.8.31 to 7.10.29 failed. The “commit” step went to a blank white screen, leaving it in an unknown state. Even after addressing the errors in the log, the UI looked as if it lost its styles and login form. Most of the errors were import errors because the file never made it from the upgrade zip into the src tree. All attempts at patching these missing files proved fruitless, even though the errors in the log were addressed.

I ended up having to restore from backup and am starting back out at 7.6.6.

Are there any alternatives to the incremental upgrade path, like a way to import the 7.6.6 data into a 7.11.18 instance? It would be nice if I could spin up a new image with the latest PHP, SuiteCRM 7.11.18, etc. and then import the data. I understand that there are import templates for each module but is that the only route?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi, welcome to the Community! :tada:

You need to do it incrementally with the upgrade scripts, I am afraid. The other route (importing tables) tends to be a lot more complicated, except if your CRM data is really simple.

Keep an eye on the Compatibility Matrix at each step.

A few things that could help the upgrade succeed: increase values in php.ini

• memory_limit
  • max_execution_time
  • max_post_size and upload_size if the problem is during the upload phase

Make sure you clear the cache/upgrades/temp between each upgrade attempt. This is especially important if the upgrade errors out (if it completes, it should be able clear up after itself).

Thanks @pgr. After my restore I was able to run the upgrade from 7.6.6 to 7.8.31 successfully. I don’t think I’ll run the upgrade from 7.8.31 to 7.10.29 until I can get off of my current PHP version, 5.6.32.

Appreciate the response.