Upgrade from 7.12.1 - No/Confusing Instructions on Documentation?

On the documentation for upgrading to 8.0 here:

I see the firs set of instructions is upgrading from 8 Beta to 8RC…

and The 2nd set of instructions says:
Upgrading to a new SuiteCRM 8 version greated that RC

I’m guessing that “greated” is a typo, and is meant to say “Created”…but even still, I’m not understanding the instructions.

I’d like to upgrade from 7.12.1 to 8.0…do I ‘have to’ upgrade to 8 Beta, the RC ‘first’??
Or, do I simply follow the instructions below the:
Upgrading to a new SuiteCRM 8 version greated that RC
heading?

Sorry if this is a dumb question :frowning: .

Hi @TobyTkd,

Thanks for the feedback, we are in the process of updating the documentation, so I’ll take the chance to fix the typos (sorry about those) and to make the Upgrading page easier to understand.

Meanwhile I’ll try to explain it a bit better here, please let me know if the following is still confusing.

1. Regarding the current documentation

• on https://docs.suitecrm.com/8.x/admin/installation-guide/upgrading/.

What we have there at the moment is a guide to upgrade from SuiteCRM 8 to SuiteCRM 8 versions, e.g. 8.0.0-beta.3 to 8.0.0. What I mean by this is:

• Upgrade from SuiteCRM 8 version Beta 3 to version RC (or greater)
  • Upgrade from SuiteCRM 8 version RC (or greater) to any version above that.

One thing that may help understand the above is that on SuiteCRM 8 you can use the install package from another version to upgrade to that version. It means that:

1. There is no need for specific upgrade packages between SuiteCRM 8 versions, like from 8.0 to 8.1.
  2. You can use directly the package of the version you want to upgrade to.

Note: the reason for a specific documentation for beta 3 is due to a bug found in the new upgrade code on that version.

2. Regarding the upgrade from 7.12.1 to 8.0.0

This is still not available. Though we plan to release this very soon.

The upgrade/migration path from SuiteCRM 7.x to 8.0 is not yet available. (From SuiteCRM 8.0.0 - release notes).

Yet again, thank you for your feedback and hope the above helps.

Ohhhh…that totally makes sense…

I think I was assuming that upgrading from 7.X was already up, and the 2nd set of instructions was potentially simply mislabeled.

Thanks! You Saved me from some potentially disastrous actions!

Hi @TobyTkd,

No problem : ) glad it helped.

It did!
Thanks a million!

BTW: Hate to ask, but would you have any thoughts about this issue??

Hi @TobyTkd,

Replied on the topic mentioned above.

I suggest to write here that the 8.1 upgrade is only form the 8.0 and not from the 7.12

1 Like