SuiteCrm 7.5.1 SMTP send not work

Hello guys !!

Recently I installed the new version of SuiteCRM 7.5

When I try to email a Google account, the following error occurs:

Error: SMTP connect () failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting

Help-me please !!

This should be resolved in 7.5.2 or 7.5.3.

Can you upgrade and feed back if you are still having issues?

Thanks,

Will.

Hi will,

i’m facing the same issue in 7.5.3 , tried multiple mailboxes on different smtp servers to see if it was a server related issue.
However none of the mailboxes work with SuiteCRM.

For me this worked in the hotfix before 7.5.2 was released, after that all clean installs failed.

For example when a try to reset a users password i get the message

System is unable to process your request. Please check: -Recipient Email Address -Your server status

suitecrm log.

Fri Mar 18 01:43:46 2016 [13347][1][FATAL] SugarPHPMailer encountered an error: An outgoing mail server is not configured to send emails. Please configure an outgoing mail server or select an outgoing mail server for the mail account that you are using in Settings >> Mail Account.
Fri Mar 18 01:43:46 2016 [13347][1][FATAL] SugarPHPMailer encountered an error: SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting

when i check the Email settings: Outgoing mail configuraiton all fields are filled.
If i press “Send Test Email” i get the message

Error:SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting

Have you logged this on GitHub Glenn?

If not, I’d highly recommend you do that so this issue is labelled, fixed and included in future bug-fix releases.

Thanks,

Will.

Thanks for commenting on this Will.
I just posted the issue on Github

I don’t see any final response to this topic. I have had this problem occur a few times, including today, and I am on release.7.9.5. It appears to be that the server at google mail is just not responding. We have not yet hit our daily limit of email transfers, but it looks like the same condition we would have if we had. This has last occurred at the end of one campaign. Over 400 emails were sent successfully from the campaign, and over 100 are sitting in the queue receiving timeouts. A subsequent campaign sent out 7 emails and the rest are sitting in the queue, timing out.